Escape-Central
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

Escape-Central (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/index.php)
- Engine and Transmission (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14)
-- Engine Coolant questions... (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=24038)

Posted by Rice Slayer on 06-17-2006 12:08 PM:

Engine Coolant questions...

I know that this topic has been covered before, but I DID do a search and didnt find a real clear-cut explaination of what I needed. What I'm needing to do is do a complete drain and refill of coolant, or maybe, multiple refills from what I gathered from searched topics. I also gathered from the past topics is that my Escape (01 V6), which was produced in Feb. of 01, has a different kind of coolant in it than Escapes/Tribbys produced after 7/15/02. That in itself gave me another reason to have it changed out, and that it had never been changed before (105K miles). What originally gave me the idea for a coolant change is that my coolant light has been progressively been coming on more and more over the last little while. I made a list of questions and that I have:

I think that completes my list of questions. If any of yall could give me an explaination for this, that would be REALLY great; cause I think my Escape is way past due for this procedure. BTW, if yall could make your explaination in like a bulleted/list type formation, I'd really appreciate that, too. Reason being, I would like a good printer copy of this procedure so I can file it for future reference.

Thanks.

Old:
2001 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L V6 4x4
Resenator removed
Ford OEM Bugshield
Foglight Mod
Slynavia SilverStars
StreetGlow 50w 886 Fog Bulbs
Super 40 Flowmaster Muffler
DIY Cold Air Intake
Raybestos QS Brake Pads
Bridgestone Duelers A/T

Posted by GatorJ on 06-17-2006 05:12 PM:

Rice: The factory fill on your 01 was PROBABLY the old style green coolant. (Ford swithched to yellow during the 02 model year.) Most would say to stay with it, I would switch it to Zerex G-05 (yellow) if it were my vehicle. One gallon is fine. Go to Walmart (cheapest I've found) and buy 8 gallons of distilled water. The drain valve (forum censor won't let me use its orrect name) to drain the radiator is on its lower backside corner, I believe driver side. Drain all the current coolant that will drain out, close the pet **** (drain valve) and fill with distilled water. Run the vehicle until it reaches operating temperature with the heater on full blast. You want the thermostat to open and you also want to change the coolant in the heater core. Drain and repeat until the drain water is clear. Then add the anti-freeze, top off with distilled water and run to operating temerature again. Check the level in a few days. I also drain and clean my overflow tank as well. This would be an absolute must if converting from green to yellow. The stuff you are draining out is toxic, please dispose of it properly.

Posted by PollKat on 06-17-2006 07:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by GatorJ
...... The drain valve (forum censor won't let me use its orrect name) to drain the radiator is on its lower backside corner, I believe driver side. Drain all the current coolant that will drain out, close the pet ****

The pet _ _ _ _ will be on the passenger side at the bottom(at least my 02 is) It'll be sticking out there with a white cap on the end and 2 orange dots to line-up when closed.Don't open it all the way,if it comes out it's a son-of-a-gun- to get back in.Just look down there it's there...

Posted by prowler on 06-17-2006 08:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by PollKat
The pet _ _ _ _ will be on the passenger side at the bottom
My pet has a _ _ _ _, too, but it's centered.

Posted by Rice Slayer on 06-17-2006 10:11 PM:

Ok, so I will need 7 gallons to rinse the system, and the eigth gallon to mix with the coolant.

After cleaning the system, do you add all the coolant into the car, then all the water; or do I mix the coolant and water outside the car before putting it in?

Will I have to move anything to pour this stuff in?

Thanks guys.

Old:
Resenator removed
Ford OEM Bugshield
Foglight Mod
Slynavia SilverStars
DIY Cold Air Intake
Raybestos QS Brake Pads
Bridgestone Duelers A/T

Posted by GatorJ on 06-17-2006 10:41 PM:

Add the entire gallon of antifreeze first and then top off with water, the rest of the cooling system will be all water by this point.

No, you won't have to move anything.

Posted by Rice Slayer on 06-17-2006 11:05 PM:

I just got done changing my oil; and while I was out there, I made an effort to find where I need to pour this stuff. But, theres no cap on top of the radiator, so where do I pour this stuff in?

When you say top it off, that means all the way to the top, almost coming out, right?

Old:
Resenator removed
Ford OEM Bugshield
Foglight Mod
Slynavia SilverStars
DIY Cold Air Intake
Raybestos QS Brake Pads
Bridgestone Duelers A/T

Posted by Big Jim on 06-18-2006 12:37 AM:

The coolant bottle is on the right side of the engine. It should have drained while you were doing everything else. There is a minimum and a maximum line on the bottle. Leave it slightly on the full side, and check it often for the next few days incase there is a air bubble.

Posted by GatorJ on 06-18-2006 02:45 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by license2ill
The thermostat will take longer to open if the heat is on full blast at start-up, won't it?

No.

quote:
Originally posted by license2ill Seems the best approach in when doing it that way is to get it up to temp, and then put the heater on, and blowing it full blast won't make any difference in what passes through the heater core either, it will only cool it off, possilby closing the thermostat.[/B]

No.

quote:
Originally posted by license2ill Rinsing seems excessive to me, but if you wanna take the time.... [/B]

Wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by license2ill What's total capacity? So, in otherwords what % does poutring the gallon of coolant in leave us with? That's they way I would do it too, but just because I'm lazy and cheap and don't want any coolant wasting away in the garage for next 5 years.

Does the cap on the reservior have to be off to get it to drain? Should you fill it back up with the engine still warm? [/B]

No.

Posted by Hamsterman on 06-21-2006 09:25 AM:

quote:
What's total capacity? So, in otherwords what % does poutring the gallon of coolant in leave us with? That's they way I would do it too, but just because I'm lazy and cheap and don't want any coolant wasting away in the garage for next 5 years.

At least I can answer that. It's in the Owner's Manual!

2.3L Manual: 5l capacity (5.3 quarts)
2.3L Auto: 6l capacity (6.3 quarts)
3.0L Auto: 10l capacity (10.6 quarts)

So, after you're done flushing/diluting the remaining 'green' coolant with distilled water, add either a little over 2/3 to 3/4 gallon for a 2.3l, or a little over a gallon for the 3.0l.

Hamsterman

PS- Now, on my old 1991 Saturn, I removed the thermostat and used water + Calgone for a double-flush per the book. The Saturns used O-rings rather than gaskets, making that a simple task. That won't work on an Escape.

Posted by GatorJ on 06-21-2006 03:52 PM:

quote:
So a gallon of coolant will give you a 60/40 water /coolant ratio. That's more coolant than what the manual calls for, no?

No, but I think you meant to say less coolant. The answer would still be "No." The owners guide discusses ratio changes based on regional variations, but warns not to increase coolant concentration above 60% or decrease it below 40% and instructs you to use the coolant manufacturer's recommendations within that range based on your location's temperatures. 40% coolant/60% water is fine for northern Alabama.

Posted by GatorJ on 06-21-2006 03:57 PM:

quote:
I think you better go back and try again.

Number one, you're wrong on your facts, and number two, I am not wrong in an opinion, especially when you don;t present any facts to set me straight. Weak sauce, pally.

Turning the heat on will open the flow of air thorugh the heater core, thus cooling the fluid. Thus, it takes longer to warm-up. DOubly, blowing the fan, as in "full blast" has a greater effect on cooling the fluid. Rinsing is excessive, show me where it has made a difference anywhere.

If you don't have the cap off, and the engine is at all warm, the vacuum will hold fluid in the reservior unless it breathes thorugh another opening. In this closed sysytem, there is no other hole.

Go ahead, chop that one up and look like an all-star.

What's the capacity and what percentage of fluid/coolant is in the system when you pour a galloon of coolant in and fill the rest with water?

NO.

Outgrowing your Underoos? You forgot about the thermostat. You complain about rinsing? If converting from green to yellow, it is an absolute necessity. If not converting, I would rather start with 100% fresh fluids in my cooling system then a mix of 50% old and 50% new. If you want to save the $5 worth of distilled water, it's your truck. Between complaining about rinsing and changing $5 worth of transmission fluid once or twice a year, I am very thankful I have reached a position in life where I will never be faced with the possibility of unknowiingly purchasing one of your pre-owned vehicles. I'll wait until I earn my "all star" rating as I don't think finding an error in one of your posts qualifies.

Posted by Etype on 06-21-2006 08:02 PM:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that you want to be careful when refilling a hot engine. After you drain the old coolant and refill the system with tap water you will run the engine to operating temp. Then drain the system. DO NOT immediately start refilling the system with cold water. That has been known to crack blocks. let the engine cool down for a while and then add the water.

When I change coolant I use hot water for flushing and filling just to help avoid the chance of damaging something.