Escape-Central Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

Escape-Central (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/index.php)
- Engine and Transmission (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14)
-- Oil Smell and PCV replacement on a V6 (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=35091)

Posted by ajd3rd on 05-11-2011 03:24 AM:

Oil Smell and PCV replacement on a V6

I have 215,000 miles on my 2007 Escape. I've been trying to track down a burning oil smell for the last month or two. I've changed the oil pan gasket since the pan was damp but I've been unable to find any other leaks. I put dye in the oil and checked the front seal, etc. The smell seems to be coming from the driver's side. I was considering changing the pcv. Can it be done without removing the upper intake manifold?

Any other things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by DA59a on 05-11-2011 03:54 PM:

Re: Oil Smell and PCV replacement on a V6

quote:
Originally posted by ajd3rd
I was considering changing the pcv. Can it be done without removing the upper intake manifold?
Yes, i just did my '05. The dealerships in area didn't have the Motorcraft PCV in stock when I did the gaskets so had to order it from Rock Auto. Near firewall facing drivers side. The rigid hose that connects to the back of the upper intake goes down and attaches to it.

2005 Escape Limited 3.0 AWD Black/Black leather - 2nd Owner ................... 1992 FXRS-Conv. Low Rider - 2nd Owner
Mod's to date:
Nokya Arctic Yellow H10 Fog lights
Osram Night Breaker H7 High beams
Lund Windjammer Spoiler (roof racks removed)
Ford Wireless Remote Keypad on drivers door
Ford Edge 18in. "take-offs" with Yokohama Avid EnVigor 255/55R18 LRR tires
Drilled/Slotted/Zinc plated rotors w/ceramic pads all 4 corners
Amsoil Synthetic Fluids all around (except Zerex G-05 coolant)
Permacool #10678 external Transmission filter with Filtermag
Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote "Bypass" Filter system (with Filtermag), using ASM 0W-20 Synthetic
Magnefine in-line filter on Power Steering return line
Raybestos Stabilizer links
KYB shocks and struts
AFE Air Intake #51-10031 with Pro Dry S filter
XCal2 - programmed by Torrie (87 Econ)
Magnaflow #16676 Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust

BINGO... The original Social Networking site.

Do not stop playing because you're old; you grow old because you stop playing

Posted by TributeBlue on 05-11-2011 07:26 PM:

I had burnt oil smells on 2 previous Fords with the same engine. One was a very small leak of power steering fluid that dropped on to the crossover pipe. The other was the PCV valve port which is under the throttle body and behind the water pump. The rubber expanded from years and miles causing the blow by gasses to slip past the PCV valve. The part is attached under the intake manifold.

Posted by ajd3rd on 05-15-2011 05:37 AM:

Well I'm at a loss. I changed the pcv valve, it seemed a little loose but didn't make a difference I still have the smell. I checked the oil pan since I changed the oil pan gasket a few weeks ago and it is totally dry. I've looked at the valve cover gaskets with a mirror and haven't been able to see anything. I looked in the small inspection panel between the oil pan and the transfer case and that looks dry as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by 03esc on 05-17-2011 08:03 PM:

If you come up with a cause please post it. I noticed I seem to be having the same issue as of about 2 weeks ago. I only notice it when I'm stopped and it's not all the time. I do have a small leak around my oil pan (that has been there for a long time) that I'll be fixing soon, but I'd like to know any other causes in case this doesn't fix it.

Posted by ajc6882 on 05-18-2011 07:35 AM:

I also have the oil pan leak and most people with the v6 will develop the timing cover leak along with some seepage at the valve covers. The oil was probably leaking and dripping up on the exhaust pipe that is directly behind the oil pan. the oil smell is probably coming from that exhaust pipe that has oil on it. I would get some engine cleaner and spray it down to clean it off, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

I have the seepage and slight leak (not dripping on ground) So I will be removing the intake, valve cover, timing cover, oil pan and replacing all the gaskets.

-Moonroof
-Factory tinted windows
-Power Drivers seat

Mods / Factory Accessories
-Bud Shield
-Bumper Black and Chrome Accent
-05+ Headlights with Relay Mod.
-Fog light Mod.
-Running Boards
-Rear cargo cover
-Uhaul/Valley Class 3 hitch
-Heated Front seats(entire seating surface from knees to shoulders)
-Pioneer Flip out head unit w/custom sub enclosure and XM radio(XM Antenna now mounted at rear)
-K&N Filter in stock Airbox
-Cabin Air filter
-Rear spoiler
-Upgraded Stabilizer bar Greaseable Urethane bushings and Moog Greaseable Stabilizer Links.

-

Posted by bpd67 on 05-18-2011 04:42 PM:

A stupid suggestion, but is your oil filter tight? It could leak there right onto exhaust as well.

Posted by ajd3rd on 05-19-2011 04:17 AM:

I checked the oil filter a number of times and it's dry. I've changed the oil a few times since the smell started so that seems to rule out the filter.

I think I'm going to order the valve cover gaskets and change them. It's very hard to see if the rear valve cover is leaking near the firewall. The oil level doesn't go down between oil changes and there are no stains on the garage floor but it must be leaking and burning it somewhere. I've looked on the passenger side and it looks dry around the crankshaft seal and timing chain cover.

I'm pretty much out of ideas so I'll do the valve cover gaskets and hopefully while they are off I'll be able to see better and thoroughly check the head gaskets.

I'll post again once I do the valve cover gaskets.

Posted by bpd67 on 05-19-2011 10:10 PM:

just out of curiousity, why bother? If I had 207k miles on my escape and it was leaking a little bit of oil, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact I have 125k on mine and it's leaking a bit, I don't worry about it, it's not alot, I had about 1/2 to 1/4 quarter in between oil changes of 8k miles.

Posted by aspitaletto on 05-19-2011 11:34 PM:

wow, 215K miles, that is incredible.

-15.915s@87.28mph
2001 Escape FWD XLT
-K&N Drop-in
-16.49@85.21mph

_________

Posted by ajd3rd on 05-20-2011 05:05 AM:

The main reason I'm interested in fixing it is the smell. When I'm sitting in traffic it's pretty bad. I commute about 160 miles round trip into Manhattan each day so sitting in traffic is a daily event. I don't know how much longer I'll keep it but it would be nice to get another year out of it since so far I really don't have any other issues with it.

Posted by TributeBlue on 05-20-2011 07:15 PM:

When you do the cam cover gaskets you should be able to see the cover where the PCV tube comes out of the engine. With all the miles you have you should replace it. On my other duratec V6 it was one piece from the top of the engine to the PCV valve port. If the smell isn't from leaking oil dripping on the exhaust it probably is blowby gasses from the engine escaping from the PCV plumbing.

Posted by ajd3rd on 05-28-2011 08:08 PM:

Fixed!

TributeBlue was correct it was blowby gasses escaping from the o rings on the short hose between the intake monifold and the pcv valve.

I initially replaced it with a rubber hose and two clamps. Once that resolved the burning oil smell I ordered the correct part from RockAuto. It wasn't available in my local parts store and they said it was a dealer item.

Posted by shaggyone on 02-02-2012 08:44 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ajd3rd
...I ordered the correct part from RockAuto...

ajd3rd I seem to have the same problem in my 01 Escape XLT. Do you still have the part number?