Escape-Central Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 17 posts from this thread on one page

Escape-Central (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/index.php)
- General Chat (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford? (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=4183)


Posted by c5hardtop on 09-16-2002 07:56 PM:

Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford?

Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford?

I only have 1 key and need to pick up a couple spares, do they have to come from Ford or Mazda, or can they be cut at retail stores. My other cars have always had transmitters in the keys that had to programed for you VIN, but looking at the key to my tribute, it looks like it can be cut anywhere.

__________________
2000 Corvette Hardtop 6-speed, Vortex Rammer, Borla Stingers

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES


Posted by TomR on 09-16-2002 09:23 PM:

I'm pretty sure you could get a key cut anywhere, but unless it has the built-in transponder, it will not start the vehicle.

You can buy the keys from the dealership and program them yourself, using the instructions in your owners manual.


Posted by c5hardtop on 09-16-2002 09:36 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by TomR
I'm pretty sure you could get a key cut anywhere, but unless it has the built-in transponder, it will not start the vehicle.

You can buy the keys from the dealership and program them yourself, using the instructions in your owners manual.



The key does not look like it has a trasponder in it, you are saying it does?

__________________
2000 Corvette Hardtop 6-speed, Vortex Rammer, Borla Stingers

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES


Posted by bzcat on 09-16-2002 09:42 PM:

its called Ford PATS key. any lock smith worth his trade will know what you are looking for. cheaper still to buy from eBay and cut it at the hardware store.

since you only have 1 key, you will not be able to program it yourself. you will need the dealer to reset the PATS code and start over.

i will go back to where ever you got the car from and ask for the second key. if you have 2 keys you can program as many as you want by yourself.

__________________
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02


Posted by sg1ama on 09-16-2002 10:33 PM:

No

Anyone can make you a replacement key
But you need both keys to program the new one

__________________
2002 Black Ford Escape XLT (2001-2012 RIP)

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)


Posted by pkmgarf on 09-17-2002 12:59 AM:

You all seem to know more here than I do. But, I was told by my dealer that you do have to get the key from Ford/Mazda. But I'm almost posititve it does have the chip in the key. But, that was the dealer, and they will tell you whatever they want to make some money.

__________________
2002 Oxford White XLT 4X2
Leather, Moonroof, Mach Audio, Trailer Package
"Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"
"If it aint broke, don't fix it, If it's broke, buy a new one."
"How fast do you want to go....how much money you got?"
"There IS no replacement for displacement!"


Posted by c5hardtop on 09-17-2002 01:00 AM:

I talked to the dealer, key is $30.38, programing is $34.00. I'm probably getting an ebay key though.

__________________
2000 Corvette Hardtop 6-speed, Vortex Rammer, Borla Stingers

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES


Posted by bzcat on 09-17-2002 01:18 AM:

Again, to summarize:

PATS keys are all the same no matter where you get them... the same company makes them so get it from eBay or Mazda dealer... doesn't matter just make sure it is for Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute, so find the cheapest place. Any locksmith or hardware store can cut the key.

You need to program them after you cut it:

If you have one key only: your dealer will have to program it for you

If you have 2 keys: you can program new key yourself

__________________
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02


Posted by GatorJ on 09-17-2002 01:32 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by c5hardtop
I talked to the dealer, key is $30.38, programing is $34.00. I'm probably getting an ebay key though.



I had to go through this when one of my originals was lost. When the dealer quoted you $34 to program a key, was he or she aware that you only had one original? Usually if you don't two programmed keys, the programming charge is well over $100. Some better locksmiths will have the necessary equipment, so shop around. The device looks like a large code reader and costs approximately $2500, so the key guy at the mall kiosk probably won't have it. Ford built in safety delays so it takes a good while to do it as well. There is a twenty minute delay from the time you access the system until you can begin to program keys. Aftermarket PATS keys work fine if you get the correct one. The only one that works is the one for the Escape, Focus and Tribute. The other PATS keys, even though similar in appearance, will not. The system will accept a maximum of eight keys. Get a couple of extra made so you don't have to go through this again

__________________
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD


Posted by c5hardtop on 09-17-2002 02:38 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by GatorJ



I had to go through this when one of my originals was lost. When the dealer quoted you $34 to program a key, was he or she aware that you only had one original? Usually if you don't two programmed keys, the programming charge is well over $100. Some better locksmiths will have the necessary equipment, so shop around. The device looks like a large code reader and costs approximately $2500, so the key guy at the mall kiosk probably won't have it. Ford built in safety delays so it takes a good while to do it as well. There is a twenty minute delay from the time you access the system until you can begin to program keys. Aftermarket PATS keys work fine if you get the correct one. The only one that works is the one for the Escape, Focus and Tribute. The other PATS keys, even though similar in appearance, will not. The system will accept a maximum of eight keys. Get a couple of extra made so you don't have to go through this again



I told them I only had one key.

__________________
2000 Corvette Hardtop 6-speed, Vortex Rammer, Borla Stingers

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES


Posted by GatorJ on 09-17-2002 03:19 AM:

That's an excellent deal considering the time and equipment involved. I hope they don't try to change anything when you get there. Keep your fingers crossed.

__________________
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD


Posted by MissGingerCat on 09-17-2002 10:27 AM:

I don't get it! Mine came with 2 keys and 2 fobs and I asked for 2 more keys to be made. How can someone just have one key?? I was also told if I wanted anymore keys I'd have to bring them all back and it would be $16/new key for replacements and programming all of them.

How does one program the key on one's own????? I wasn't going to ask because I thought it might just go over my head. But now you have me wondering.

MissGingerCat~ Who doesn't get it at all...

__________________
Goddess and Commander of All Kittens
2008 pearl white Toyota RAV4

I Love My Eggscape !!(too bad my brother owns it now)

Without sausage, without bacon, all purpose in life is forsaken


(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.


Posted by sg1ama on 09-17-2002 12:27 PM:

It actually even says in the manual how to program the keys
Mine is downstairs so cant quote but its in there

It basically consists of inserting each key, turning it to the preset position & removing it

Anyone have the info handy?

__________________
2002 Black Ford Escape XLT (2001-2012 RIP)

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)


Posted by c5hardtop on 09-17-2002 04:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MissGingerCat
I don't get it! Mine came with 2 keys and 2 fobs and I asked for 2 more keys to be made. How can someone just have one key??


I bought mine used 2 weeks ago and they only had 1 key and no remotes. I've picked up remotes off ebay, they are easy to program.... just wanted a backup key. Its a cost you live with on a used vehicle... since my 01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, Loaded with 14k miles was $14.2k, about $12k less than the MSRP a little over a year ago, its a cost I can live with. If I was paying retail used, I would asked for other keys to be included. If you've ever traded a car in, its pretty rare for the dealer to ask for other keys remotes, however I usually bring them back or mail them back to be nice.

__________________
2000 Corvette Hardtop 6-speed, Vortex Rammer, Borla Stingers

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 AM. Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 17 posts from this thread on one page

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.0
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Limited 2000 - 2002.