Escape-Central Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 30 posts from this thread on one page

Escape-Central (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/index.php)
- General Chat (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- NEWS: Escape wins BEST SMALL SUV Award !!! (http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=7344)

Posted by WhatsNew on 04-05-2003 08:45 PM:

And The Smart Money Winner Is . . .

<a href="http://escape-central.com>Ford Escape</a>
Built Ford Tough...
Ford Escape Wins
Best Small SUV Award!

: : : Escape Central News : : : SmartMoney Magazine : : :

A FEW YEARS AGO... the small SUV category barely existed. Today it's fiercely competitive, with a wide range of choices. But most people use small SUVs to hit the mall, not the mud, so we focused on five popular SUVs built on a car (not a truck) chassis, rating them on such factors as power, value, styling, ride, comfort and cargo space to select a SmartMoney Award winner.

The Winner...

Ford Escape... In this case Ford happens to strike just the right balance with its popular Escape. Like the other four reviewed here, it has full-time four-wheel drive (power is directed to the front wheels under most conditions, shifting to all four wheels only when the system detects slippage). But unlike the other four SUVs, it offers decent towing capacity (up to 3,500 pounds) and a four-wheel-drive lock mode, ideal for mud or ice.

Plus... it actually looks the part of a rugged SUV. Considering that utility vehicles owe their popularity more to their sporty looks than to their actual off-road capabilities, it's surprising how many automakers opt for a softer station-wagon-on-steroids look for their crossovers. Not Ford. The Escape resembles the popular Explorer, albeit shrunken a bit. Inside, the theme continues; my test vehicle had the best interior of this group, with tan leather on the steering wheel and seats.

____Escape V6 features a class leading 201 Horsepower
____

The Escape also features the brawniest engine, a 3-liter V-6 that delivers a full 201 hp, by far the best in this group. And it's just as maneuverable and responsive as the rest of the crossovers, with tight steering and an independent suspension front and rear.

(C) WhatsNew @ Escape-Central
Other Ford Escape Product News:
Escape Sales ... HOT in September !!!
Ford Scraps Start of ESCAPE HYBRID Fleet Trials
Ford Creates a Crossover: Freestyle Update
NEWS: Coming SOON - New 2005 Escape Design!!
Breaking NEWS: Mercury's Escape Named MARINER!!! (Pics)

Posted by on 04-05-2003 10:15 PM:

Congrats on 100 posts Whatsnew, what no nanners for you?

Posted by FARSCAPE on 04-05-2003 10:28 PM:

Lightbulb

Of course, we already knew that it was the best Small SUV Good to know that others feel the same.

Posted by Decker on 04-06-2003 06:06 PM:

Thumbs up

I think it's the horsepower. I really liked everything about the Escapes that I have test driven, but the standout for me is the power. These things have great acceleration. I'm trying to wait for the 2004's to come out but It's getting frustrating waiting everytime I see another one on the road and all of these I just got my Escape posts!

Posted by enormus on 04-07-2003 04:03 AM:

Appearance vs. Power

There are many things I prefer about the Escape to other small SUVs, but "appearance" and "power" are definitely the two most important qualities to me that it possesses. I looked at many of the so-called cute-utes during my presale research. I found a number to be downright ugly including the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Saturn VUE (although I think the Nissan Murano and Honda Element have a new standard for ugliness). I liked the appearance of the RAV4 and the Jeep Liberty, but lack of power and poor gas mileage, respectively, ruled them out. In the end, the Escape had just what I was looking for. Not too big, simple, truck good looks, and a V6 with decent gas mileage. Once I saw the XLT in Dark Shadow Grey in person, there was no turning back.

Current modifications: Benevento 5 pc Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit * EGR In-Channel Door Wind Deflectors * Ford OEM Low Profile Bug Shield * GE Super Blue Head Lamps * JVC KD-SH909 CD/MP3 Player * K&N Filtercharger * MTX RT202 100w Amp * Polk EX357 speakers * Polk GNX104 10" sub * Wix 24816 Cabin Filter

Posted by JustJerk on 04-07-2003 05:46 PM:

There was one small problem with that study; they forgot to include the Tribute! The article title would have said “MAZDA TRIBUTE Wins Best Small SUV Award!"

MODS

WetherTech WeatherFlectors
WeatherTech Easy-OnTM Stone and Bug Deflector
Clear Side Markers
DIY - Interior Bike Rack
DIY - Main & Lower Grille Guard
DIY - Cabin Air Filter
Cee Bailey's Sunshields
Evolution 4 Car Cover
Chrome Tribute License Plate Holder
3rd Brake light cover
12" Polished Billet Antenna
Decals - Mazda, Zoom-Zoom, American Flag, No Fear, Jerk Inside, NY Giants Helmet, NY Giants Logo, BigBlueTailgate.com, 4X4, and more

Jest- something done or said in a playful joking manner

Posted by Yabi on 04-07-2003 08:24 PM:

Oh no sir, Escapes is best... you go zoom zoom with your mazda and make room for the BEST! =)

Posted by wheelman123 on 04-09-2003 09:19 PM:

Built Mazda Tough...
Mazda Tribute Wins
Best Small SUV Award!

We all know who got the better genes.....

2003 Mazda Tribute
Redfire Metallic...

Posted by Decker on 07-15-2003 11:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JustJerk
There was one small problem with that study; they forgot to include the Tribute! The article title would have said “MAZDA TRIBUTE Wins Best Small SUV Award!"

Well I wouldn't mind owning a Tribute. I like the looks but the one negative is that the Mazda dealers in this area seem to be tougher about giving in on anything when it comes to pricing for the Tribs. I don't know if this is just because Ford dealers are gettting higher volumes or what but the Mazda dealers are kind of snobby.

Posted by JustJerk on 07-16-2003 12:24 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Decker
Mazda dealers are kind of snobby.
Gotta love being upper class!

MODS

WetherTech WeatherFlectors
WeatherTech Easy-OnTM Stone and Bug Deflector
Clear Side Markers
DIY - Interior Bike Rack
DIY - Main & Lower Grille Guard
DIY - Cabin Air Filter
Cee Bailey's Sunshields
Evolution 4 Car Cover
Chrome Tribute License Plate Holder
3rd Brake light cover
12" Polished Billet Antenna
Decals - Mazda, Zoom-Zoom, American Flag, No Fear, Jerk Inside, NY Giants Helmet, NY Giants Logo, BigBlueTailgate.com, 4X4, and more

Jest- something done or said in a playful joking manner

Posted by FLCalling on 08-12-2003 10:14 PM:

My Son owns both a Mazda 600 and a Tribute. He finds the Mazda dealership STUPID! and ususally calls then Ford dealership to get the correct fix on his Tribute!

Posted by mi-escape on 08-13-2003 07:31 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JustJerk
Gotta love being upper class!

JustJerk,

If only buying a Tribute actually got you there....

The truth of the matter is, no version of the Escape or Tribute is intended for an "upper class" driver. They are squarely middle-class vehicles and the cater to a wide spectrum of the middle-class.

The survey on incomes kind of proves that. The majority of owners were around 60,000 or less in income. Only a small minority were above that mark.

Until Lincoln or Landrover gets the Escape/Tribute platform, I don't believe any small SUV from Ford, Mazda or Mercury will be intended for the upper-class.

If your intention is to suggest that the Tribute is more refined, I would say possibly in ride only. The Escape Limited provides a much more refined vehicle look inside and out.

2002.5 Escape XLT 4x4 Midnight Edition

Safety & Security Accessories:
Ford Automatic Headlamp System * Ford Locking Gas Cap * Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs

Apperance Accessories:
Ford Step Bars * Ford Molded Splash Guards * Ford Moonroof Deflector * Ford Full Frontend Cover * Ford Rear Roof Air Deflector * Auto VentShade Side-Window Deflectors * Auto VentShade Tail-light Covers

Apperance Modifications:
Limited Door Handles * Limited Rear Liftgate Latch Cover

Interior Accessories:
Ford MACH AM/FM/6-CD Stereo * Ford Plastic Scuff Plates * Ford All Weather Vinyl Floor Mats

Convenience Accessories:
Ford Remote Car Starter

Opinions expressed in this post are those of the individual expressing them, and should not be considered as absolute fact for any particular topic.

The person submitting posts under this ID shall not be considered eminently qualified on any one subject or subjects. While this does not conclude that factual information cannot be obtained from these posts, this does mean that the information provided may not be complete, may contain inaccuracies, or may contain broad or vague references.

In other words, an opinion may be contained herein.

It is important to conduct your own research through resources available throughout the Internet. Please be mindful that this is an automobile site and any information obtain regarding non-automotive subjects should be checked, regardless of who is providing that information.

The contents of this message may be subject to a Non-disclosure agreement. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or otherwise disseminate this information. If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized interception of this post is a violation of federal criminal law.

This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

Posted by sbkim on 08-13-2003 08:47 PM:

"The Escape Limited provides a much more refined vehicle look inside and out"

I couldn't agree more. IMHO, Tribute color scheme is too stationwagon like. Granted, I am very jealous of that speedo bezel...

Posted by GatorJ on 08-14-2003 07:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by mi-escape
If your intention is to suggest that the Tribute is more refined, I would say possibly in ride only.

To the contrary, almost every authoritative automotive magazine that evaluated the Escape and its sister vehicle, the Tribute, preferred the Escape's ride, finding the Tribute's to be unduly harsh.