Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > Ball joint
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zman5588
2nd Gear

Ball joint

I just went in for my 50k service and they told me my ball joint was shot. I guess this explains the "thump" I would hear when I would make right turns while going over a little bump. I was just wondering how intensive is the service? Will I need an alignment after it's replaced?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zman5588 is offline Old Post 12-12-2004 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zman5588 Find more posts by zman5588 Add zman5588 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bananaboat
Platinum Overdrive

Depends on which ball joint. The stabilizer links have two ball joints each and have short life spans. $20 each to replace, easy to reach and no alignment needed. Other ball joints can be a different story...

I just hang around here for the Duratec info.

bananaboat is offline Old Post 12-13-2004 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bananaboat Find more posts by bananaboat Add bananaboat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zman5588
2nd Gear

It's the wheel ball joint. They quoted $380. I feel kind of good because I have the ESP that covers it for a $50 deductable.

zman5588 is offline Old Post 12-13-2004 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zman5588 Find more posts by zman5588 Add zman5588 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zman5588
2nd Gear

Just got the Escape back. The lower ball joint had to be replaced for $340.00. Thanks to the Ford ESP it was $50 for me. It was funny conversation with the Ford tech and myself trying to relate the ball joint "thunk" to the sway bar "Jingle" sound.

zman5588 is offline Old Post 12-14-2004 07:15 PM
WayFastWhitey
Neutral

Sorry I did not see this sooner, I had the same problem with mine but I did not have the ESP so I ended up doing it myself for 1/2 the cost. The part itself was ~60 and I paid another 60 to have it aligned so for 120 I saved myself the 220. It was really easy and done in an hour!

WayFastWhitey is offline Old Post 12-16-2004 04:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WayFastWhitey Find more posts by WayFastWhitey Add WayFastWhitey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4x2
Platinum Member

WayFastWhitey

Did ya drill out rivets to get the old one off?

- Michelin LTX M/S
- Raybestos A.T. pads & A.T. rotors
- Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks & Struts
- Mercon drain 'n fill every 10K

4x2 is offline Old Post 12-17-2004 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 4x2 Find more posts by 4x2 Add 4x2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ove1
Platinum Overdrive

Ford sells the replacement ball joint and lower control arm as a unit. I don't know if the the ball joint can be pressed out or if there is an aftermarket ball joint available. Would be nice if there was and it had a grease zerk.

ove1 is offline Old Post 12-17-2004 09:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ove1 Find more posts by ove1 Add ove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
najaboy
1st Gear

Awhile back, I had a ball joint dry out on my Mustang. The quick & easy fix was to put a needle on a grease gun and inject some grease into the boot. The puncture was then sealed with RTV.

najaboy is offline Old Post 12-18-2004 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for najaboy Find more posts by najaboy Add najaboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WayFastWhitey
Neutral

quote:
Originally posted by 4x2
WayFastWhitey

Did ya drill out rivets to get the old one off?

ovel is right, Ford only sells the lower control arm and ball joint as one unit. After it was jacked up and the tire removed it was 3 simply bolts to undo and replace then torque down. After that I took it for an alignment and all was well. I have done some evil lower control arm replacements and this was not one of them. It was remarkably simple.

WayFastWhitey is offline Old Post 12-20-2004 04:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WayFastWhitey Find more posts by WayFastWhitey Add WayFastWhitey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4x2
Platinum Member

RE

WayFastWhitey,

Glad to hear it's that easy.

4x2 is offline Old Post 12-21-2004 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 4x2 Find more posts by 4x2 Add 4x2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote