Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Escape Outfitter Skidplates: MORE THAN A DREAM?
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
WhatsNew
News and Info

Escape Outfitter Skidplates: MORE THAN A DREAM?

<a href="http://escape-central.com">Ford Escape</a>

quote:
Originally posted by sixpin299

Anyone interested, here is a pic of the skid plates from the Maverick that I ordered. Pics came from the UK Ford accessories site.
View of Maverick Skidplates sold in Europe

<a href="http://escape-central.com">Ford Escape</a>
Later,
Six

Good News Everyone!
In Britain, the Ford Escape is sold as the "Ford Maverick" and it is now available over there with skidplates. Our club member sixpin found a Euro Ford site that sells Escape Skidplates that look similar to the original prototype Escape Sport model (the one that came with the Outfitters roof rack AND the hot looking skid plates.

If there is any member of our board here who may live in England and have a Maverick or who may have more information about the Maverick accessories, we're wondering if these plates will fit on the American version of the Escape? Would anyone else here be interested in these if they are available?

This:
Escape Sport With Outfitter rack:

+ These
New Euro Maverick Skidplates

= This...
Original Ford Escape Prototype:

???

(c) WhatsNew @ EscapeCentral

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WhatsNew is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WhatsNew Visit WhatsNew's homepage! Find more posts by WhatsNew Add WhatsNew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikepro
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

I would LOVE to get those skidplates. I have seen Maverick's driving around Dearborn, and it looked identical to my Escape. It was a cursory inspection, but bumper looked identical to the US Escape, so hopefully they would fit.

mikepro is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikepro Find more posts by mikepro Add mikepro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kabob
Neutral

Fork Maverick

Hey, check out this site

http://www.ford.co.uk/

It is the Ford site for England. You can build your "Maverick" and see the price in pounds.

I was trying to see some pics of the skid plates but haven't run across them on the site yet or seen the option for them. The pics look just like our Escapes.

2002 XLT Black 4x4
Weather Flectors
Euro antenna
Debadged

kabob is offline Old Post 03-01-2002 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kabob Find more posts by kabob Add kabob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ecape1401
Platinum Member

I want them too!!! Let me know when someone orders them, and how much they paid and if they fit!
Evan

2001 Bright Red Ford Escape XLS+
Euro Style Antenna, Insulated Door Panels, Chrome Safari Bar, Hella 500 Rally Driving Lights, Ford Escape Decal, Upgraded Fog Lights, Chrome Bumper Trim Inserts, Chrome Escape Rear Tail Gate, 4 Rockford HPC 2268's, MagnaFlow Tip, American Eagle 077's Polished, Lund Bug Deflector, NAPA Cabin Air Filter, 100W bulbs

ecape1401 is offline Old Post 03-03-2002 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ecape1401 Visit ecape1401's homepage! Find more posts by ecape1401 Add ecape1401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greyboy
Managing Editor

Just a couple more pics for the droolers...

:j

greyboy is offline Old Post 03-03-2002 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for greyboy Find more posts by greyboy Add greyboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ecape1401
Platinum Member

We need to find out where we can get these in North America, and if they will fit!!!!!!!!

Evan

Euro Style Antenna, Insulated Door Panels, Chrome Safari Bar, Hella 500 Rally Driving Lights, Ford Escape Decal, Upgraded Fog Lights, Chrome Bumper Trim Inserts, Chrome Escape Rear Tail Gate, 4 Rockford HPC 2268's, MagnaFlow Tip, American Eagle 077's Polished, Lund Bug Deflector, NAPA Cabin Air Filter, 100W bulbs

ecape1401 is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 02:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ecape1401 Visit ecape1401's homepage! Find more posts by ecape1401 Add ecape1401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
escapeohio
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

I would be very interested in these skid plates. I wouldn't mind the clear turn signals either.

escapeohio is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for escapeohio Find more posts by escapeohio Add escapeohio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sixpin299
2nd Gear

Hey Original Prototype Lover's (you know who you are!),

I have purchased these skidplates, and yes they do fit. They look exactly like the one's shown on the pic that Greyboy has attached. Only difference is my rear skidplate has a cutout for the trailer hitch. You can get either style. My main reason for getting them is to break up that huge mold in color grey bumper look with a different color and the skid plates do a fabulous job!!

I can't give you the exact link for the accessories page of the UK Ford site because they use Flash (sometimes I hate Flash!!). What I ended up doing was e-mailing a UK dealer and asking him to order the skid plates and mail them to me. Cost me an arm and leg to ship, but was well worth it. The dealers e-mail address is:

Chris.Shellock@emgford.co.uk

Other than the high shipping cost (I think it was $150.. yikes!!) it was a very pleasant and easy transaction. If you search the site for my posts, I give a price breakdown on how much it cost me!!

Now, all I need is my Escape XLT Sport!! Delivery date of March 6th!!

Six

sixpin299 is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sixpin299 Find more posts by sixpin299 Add sixpin299 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
escapeindy

[shift] 1st Gear!

Six,
A couple of questions before I send off an email to order the skid plates. First, what would you say the actual color of the skid plates are? Do you have the product numbers, especially for the rear plate, since there are two versions. I, too have the hitch. Lastly, what does the install look like? I plan on mounting a front grille guard also, and would like to know if the skid plate uses the front tie-down brackets as a mounting point. Several of the front grille guards use them. And does the rear attach using the hitch bolts as a mounting point? I have a WAAG rear bumper guard installed that uses those bolt locations.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by escapeindy on 08-22-2002 at 02:34 AM

escapeindy is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for escapeindy Find more posts by escapeindy Add escapeindy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ecape1401
Platinum Member

I have a Westin Safari Bar I too would like to know if it uses the two brackets on the front.

Thanks
Evan

ecape1401 is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 09:25 PM
mikepro
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

Exclamation Hey sixpin299...

So, what exactly are these skid plaes made of? Aluminum, plastic, other? Are they mostly cosmetic, or do they actually protect something?

Also, can you give us details on how they mount, and any mods required?

Can you give us the part numbers, maybe we can find a US dealer who can order them.

Also, where in Michigan are you? I'm in Ann Arbor. I'd love to see these things in person!

Othes who are interested in ordering: Maybe we can get some sort of group order discount going. At the least, maybe we can spread that high shipping around by making a batch order that gets sent to the US, and then we ship them to everyone who ordered. How many people would be interested in this?

mikepro is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikepro Find more posts by mikepro Add mikepro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikepro
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

By the way sixpinn299, if you have pictures and need a site to put them on, I'll host them on my web server. Just email the pictures to mikepro@yahoo.com

mikepro is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 09:59 PM
sixpin299
2nd Gear

I guess I won't be the only one in town with these skid plates ....

The color of the skid plates are silver. They are made out of ABS plastic (at the most, 3mm thick). They are definitely just cosmetic. The instructions that came with the part also came with paint instructions, so I assume that you can paint them to any color if required. The color is exactly what is shown on the picture that Greyboy has attached in his post.

In terms of installation, it is a matter of drilling a few 15.5mm hole into the bumper fascias. In the front, there are 6 holes, in the back, 4 holes. It seems pretty simple. Just put the skid plate in position and mark the places you need to drill the holes, take the skid plate off, and drill the holes. Put a small rubber grommet that has a steel nut inside it ins place in the hole and then put the skid plate back on and put a bolt through the hole and into nut. I'm assuming the rubber grommet then expands, allowing the bolt to retain the skidplate in position. If you look carefully at the pic that Greyboy has attached, you can see the bolt heads. I'm pretty sure that having the skidplates would not interfere with the bumper guards if those guards are using the tie downs.

Now keep in mind, I haven't actually done this installation yet. I've just put the skid plates in position on my friend's Escape and it fit perfectly, following the bumper contours and everything. Stayed somewhat snug on the bumper as well without any fasteners.

In terms of part numbers, I'll have to check the instructions that came along with them. The e-invoice I just dug up just says "Maverick skidplates". I'll get back with those numbers.

Also, I just received a call from my dealer. They have it on the lot but need a couple of days to add the auto starter and compass/temp rear mirror (I'm getting ripped off on this mirror, but I don't want to have to go to AutoOne or someplace like that and give up my truck for the day)....

As soon as I get the truck, and on a relatively warmer day than today, I'll install the skidplates and post some pics. Thanks for offering to post some pics for me Mikepro, but I think I'll keep using my friends business site until she runs out of space (I don't think she even knows I've got personal pics on that site... hehehehehee...). Also, I'm in the Royal Oak area. I'd have no problem with you coming over to see it. Anything for a fellow Escape Enthusiast.

Six

sixpin299 is offline Old Post 03-04-2002 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sixpin299 Find more posts by sixpin299 Add sixpin299 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikepro
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

Thanks for the info six, and congrats on your Escape arriving! What colo did you get? Too bad you have to wait a few days to get it though... :j Also too bad you're getting ripped off on the mirror install, but at least you don't have to install it in weather like today. Brrrrrr!

If you could find the part numbers that would be really great, maybe we could find someone stateside who can order them.

Royal Oak's not that far, I'd definitely make the trip to see these. Email me at mikepro@yahoo.com and maybe we can set something up.

P.S. I emailed Chris and enquired about the possibility of placing a group order at a discount, so I'll let you all know what he says.

mikepro is offline Old Post 03-05-2002 12:41 AM