Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> Pricing - Ordering and Options > considering purchasing Escape, Tribute, Mariner, Maverick
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
duratecPGT
Neutral

considering purchasing Escape, Tribute, Mariner, Maverick

As much as I love my Cobra and my Probe, we need to pick up a second vehicle and the Probe is not as reliable as we thought it would be, nor does it provide much space/transport ability.

Wanting to stick in the Ford family and not needing the people or cargo space a F150/Ranger/Excursion/Explorer have, the Escape is the logical choice.

When did the plastic body moldings stop and the painted to match start?

This would obviously be a used unit, any particular years to look out for? I worked at the dealer and when I was there Escapes were stupid reliable and took a beating, only real issue we saw was jackasses overloading them and blowing rear shocks. Any other major issues with the pre-owned units?

Does the stick model really get that much better fuel economy than the auto? Any comments about the clutch, how it holds up, etc? How is the FWD model in the snow, is the AWD really necessary? In PA we do get hit bad sometimes.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duratecPGT is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for duratecPGT Find more posts by duratecPGT Add duratecPGT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LX302
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

You can search the threads for more info, but from being a member of Escape central for the last 4 years he's some info I can help you with.

Personally an '05 or newer will be your best bet as this was a modification year.
The paint matched cladding started in '05 and only was availble on certain colors. Owning one of those colors, it looks cool, but not with 4 years of stone chips on the plastic, I wish I had the plastic cladding. A more powerful 4cyl was offered if your looking for a manual trans, as the V6 only had the auto option.
Only issues with the vehicles, like you said, the rear shocks and the auto transmission. As long as the fluid was changed on a regular basis, it will hold up fine.
Manual vs auto, I'd say a difference of 1-3mpg.

I too live in PA, and you can get away with FWD, but I wanted the assurance of AWD for the deeper white stuff, and had not had any problems. The difference will be 1-2 mpg based on what I've been reading.

Good luck researching!

'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD 94,000 miles
and still on the road.

LX302 is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 07:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LX302 Find more posts by LX302 Add LX302 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duratecPGT
Neutral

is the 4 cyl offered in a 4wd stick?

98 Cobra - American Iron - Agent 47 SLA, 03 IRS, T56 Magnum, RAM twin disk, 315/35/17 BFG R1 F+R, Wilwoods, cam only LQ4...LS7 build in progress.

duratecPGT is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duratecPGT Find more posts by duratecPGT Add duratecPGT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Escapy32
Platinum Member

Ah..I used to have a 93 Probe GT..Loved the look and the handling..But it was always breaking..

The V6 only comes with a auto..Too bad there was no stick offered..But i love my Scape..Great vehicle...U will be pleased with your purchase..Which ever model u buy..

I know the 04 Tributes came 4wd with a stick...4 banger only..My sister in law used to have one..Peppy little beast..But its no V6..

1999 Terry Travel Trailer...at the cottage now for good...

2002 Escape XLT 4x4 V6 Daily driver..A few mystery mods

2007 Honda Odyssey EX Wifes ride...the leaning tower of Vtec power!

Acura Tech..& lovin it!!!!!

Escapy32 is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Escapy32 Find more posts by Escapy32 Add Escapy32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duratecPGT
Neutral

yeah, just looking for the fuel economy, and if the auto is that much of a pos...I'll stay away. If we're looking to go stupid fast we can just take the cobra for a spin

from what I remember it's the C4DE.

if they are as problematic as they were in the 4cyl and 6cyl probes, we will definitely be getting a stick.

98 Cobra - American Iron - Agent 47 SLA, 03 IRS, T56 Magnum, RAM twin disk, 315/35/17 BFG R1 F+R, Wilwoods, cam only LQ4...LS7 build in progress.

duratecPGT is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 09:16 PM
Escapy32
Platinum Member

I have 140,000 KM on mine....Never had any issues with the tranny..Shifts perfect..And i,m just about to do its first tranny service in the week to come..

If your looking for economy...Get the 4 banger..I need the V6 for towing..

1999 Terry Travel Trailer...at the cottage now for good...

2002 Escape XLT 4x4 V6 Daily driver..A few mystery mods

2007 Honda Odyssey EX Wifes ride...the leaning tower of Vtec power!

Acura Tech..& lovin it!!!!!

Escapy32 is offline Old Post 07-20-2008 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Escapy32 Find more posts by Escapy32 Add Escapy32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leviathan
Platinum Member

I'd go 2005 or newer. The 5speed 4WD model is a great set up. Mileage? 20 US mpg in 85/15 city/highway where my "city" is 10km trips through some 40+ controlled intersections. Last all highway trip @ 110km/h got 29 US mpg.

Leviathan is offline Old Post 07-21-2008 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leviathan Find more posts by Leviathan Add Leviathan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duratecPGT
Neutral

damn I was going to avoid 4wd for the fuel but hell if I can get 29 highway that's perfect. I have about three stoplights then 31 miles of highway then 3 stoplights going from home to work. then back.

even the cobra gets 20mpg I do so much highway, lol...

duratecPGT is offline Old Post 07-23-2008 05:01 PM