Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > NEWS: Mercury's Escape Named MARINER!!! (Pics)
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
graz34
3rd Gear

quote:
Originally posted by damedoer
I am sure the increase on price tag will be there also!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

graz34 is offline Old Post 04-17-2003 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for graz34 Find more posts by graz34 Add graz34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
graz34
3rd Gear

Woops! It helps to say something after you quote someone, right? I was going to say that I cannot imagine people paying that much more for a dressed up Escape considering you can already push the Escape Limited well into the upper 20's. Plus, Mercury already offers the Mountaineer that starts in the low 30's. So why would someone pay say.....28, 29,000 for a Mariner when they could get a Mountaineer for a few grand more. Yes, some people just would not want the extra size and poor fuel economy that inevitably goes with it, but the price point just seems too close. I suppose someone could argue that the Escape Limited is close in price to a base Explorer, but the base Explorer is lacking a lot of the amenities that the Escape Limited has.....whereas the Mountaineer comes pretty well loaded at the low end of the trim lines which would be relatively close to the price of a Mariner. Anyone follow what I am saying?

graz34 is offline Old Post 04-17-2003 10:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for graz34 Find more posts by graz34 Add graz34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikepro
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

Looks interesting, I like it. Price will be interesting. It seems like there may to be a lot of overlap in the price/amenities among all the SUV classes and and nameplates, i.e. Ford, Mazda, Mercury, Lincoln. Could this be a replacement for the Tribute?

mikepro is offline Old Post 04-17-2003 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikepro Find more posts by mikepro Add mikepro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

If I remember correctly, when the Mountainer first came out there was the Explorer, XLT, EB, and LTD. The Mountainer slid in between the EB and the LTD as far as price went. I believe it was also available with the V8 prior to the Explorer. I like the interior a lot. I don't doubt that they can find a way to distinguish it without inflating the price too much.

Old Post 04-17-2003 11:26 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
graz34
3rd Gear

I have always thought the Mountaineer was a steal compared to the Explorer EB and Limited. You could practically equip a Mountaineer as well as a Explorer Limited or EB for the price of a decent XLT. It was just a little out of reach for me so I went with the Escape, which I am glad I did.....of course.

graz34 is offline Old Post 04-17-2003 11:48 PM
PeterChenoweth
1st Gear

I wondered the same thing...

The only one I can tell for sure is the far left - that's a Hazard flashers button. I'd surely bet another is the 4x4 lock switch (ala Tribute style push button), and I'd also gamble that one is a traction control on/off switch. As far as the others go...

One might almost look like a rear-hatch release button, but that's nearly a complete guess. Maybe one button activates a Freelander-like ABS-regulated "Hill Descent" mode??

Of course, it is a Mariner so maybe one button engages submarine mode - ala 007's Lotus Esprit...

quote:
Originally posted by MINIUTE
wow, what are all the buttons above the ac controls for?

PeterChenoweth is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeterChenoweth Find more posts by PeterChenoweth Add PeterChenoweth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FARSCAPE
Platinum Member

Talking

An escape w/body colored mouldings and silver colored plastic accents placed intermittently huh. Yaaawn
I wanna see the ****er as a convertible

FARSCAPE is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FARSCAPE Find more posts by FARSCAPE Add FARSCAPE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEHR655
Managing Editor

But is it sea worthy?

BEHR655 is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BEHR655 Find more posts by BEHR655 Add BEHR655 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greyboy
Managing Editor

Thumbs up

Can I get that in a Blue?

Don't care much for the name, but I think they did a great job of "Merc-ing" up the front and rear !!
Well, I guess it's time to start a "Mariner Folder" !

greyboy is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for greyboy Find more posts by greyboy Add greyboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bzcat
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by graz34
So why would someone pay say.....28, 29,000 for a Mariner when they could get a Mountaineer for a few grand more.

Toyota does brisk business selling $35k Highlander that is no bigger than the Escape so Mariner should do just fine.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ford Tek
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

You know Mercury Marine makes a Mariner outboard motor.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/mariner_225_optimax

Now what?

Ford Tek is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 04:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ford Tek Find more posts by Ford Tek Add Ford Tek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scapedude
Outfitter

I likey!

'03 Limited
w/side bars

Scapedude is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scapedude Find more posts by Scapedude Add Scapedude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Zeman
Hyperdrive

Late 2004? Hmm, we're 4 months into 2003. This is a little premature....

Rick Zeman is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Zeman Find more posts by Rick Zeman Add Rick Zeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Estelle2
Platinum Member

--Nice Truck, ---Doofas name--.
Still not as rugged looking as an Escape though, looks too
much like a van.

Estelle2 is offline Old Post 04-18-2003 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Estelle2 Find more posts by Estelle2 Add Estelle2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote