Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Escape & Tribute CAMPING OUT How-To's !!!
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Escape Convict
1st Gear

Roughing it

I stood at a motel that didn't have air conditioning once. Does that count?

Mods
VentVisor rain guards
Black door edge guards
Thule Evolution 2100 cargo box
Canon 20D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Escape Convict is offline Old Post 08-03-2004 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Escape Convict Visit Escape Convict's homepage! Find more posts by Escape Convict Add Escape Convict to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mwarrenus
New Member!

The link to DroidLogic in the first post has disappeared . Is there another site hosting the instructions and images? Thanks.

mwarrenus is offline Old Post 05-25-2008 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mwarrenus Find more posts by mwarrenus Add mwarrenus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhitewaterDude
New Member!

I don't get it

WhitewaterDude is offline Old Post 06-05-2008 06:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WhitewaterDude Find more posts by WhitewaterDude Add WhitewaterDude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
02escape
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

uhh........where did that come from? And what dont you get???

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

"Here's what you get; an M-16 and a kevlar vest. You might come home with one less leg but this thing will surely keep a bullet out your chest. So come on, come on, sign up, come on. This one's nothing like Vietnam, except for the bullets, except for the bombs, except for the youth that's gone."
-Light up your lighter by: Michael Franti

02escape is offline Old Post 06-05-2008 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 02escape Find more posts by 02escape Add 02escape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhitewaterDude
New Member!

The boxes thing? Is it for an earlier Escape?

WhitewaterDude is offline Old Post 06-05-2008 06:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WhitewaterDude Find more posts by WhitewaterDude Add WhitewaterDude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rosabaer
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by WhitewaterDude
The boxes thing? Is it for an earlier Escape?

From the way I read it, It seems to me that you are to remove the rear seats (the part you put your butt on) and build a box to there dimention to support the seat back that you will end up laying on. Maybe?!

rosabaer is offline Old Post 06-05-2008 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rosabaer Find more posts by rosabaer Add rosabaer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WhitewaterDude
New Member!

gotcha

WhitewaterDude is offline Old Post 06-05-2008 04:57 PM
Esc
2nd Gear

This is the description of the "boxes" copied from the droidlogic link when it worked. I have copies of some pics from there also that I will put up somewhere when I have a chance.

quote:
SUV CAMPING for two adults can be easy, comfortable, and very economical inside ANY stock Escape or Tribute. Two simple luggage boxes you make are portable and drop in to make two 6ft-3in long beds. Air Mattresses will fit also.

Bed space: The front seats can be slid forward to provide an inside sleeping area 6'-3" long and 4'-6" wide at the shoulders. This is standard Double-Bed size, large enough to sleep two adults. But to make this into a_bed you need to build a small, portable Luggage Box_for each sleeper.

To set up for sleeping at the campsite:_Slide the front seats forward._Remove the (detachable) rear seat cushions. (Note: storage wise it's always better to leave these cushions and the rear head-restraints at home unless you will need rear seats for passengers). _Lay the rear seatbacks flat. Drop one or both_boxes into the gaps behind the front seats to extend the 4'-10" flat cargo floor to 6'-3" for sleeping._ The box also provides personal storage conveniently under the pillow and by a side door._ Each box is packed at home as an overnight bag and is carried in the cargo area behind the rear seat along with the bedroll._ If you sleep on a standard 20" wide camping pad you might also cut a_1/8"_thick tempered pressed hardboard sheet_21" x 28" to put under the pad over the seatback to smooth the floor. These can be stored under the cargo carpet.

If you prefer to sleep on a considerably more comfortable home-style mattress, install a standard "Coleman" Double-size Airbed for two sleepers or a Twin-size Airbed for one and fill it firmly with an electric pump._ To support an airbed you will need to use two Boxes and place a simple Bridge between them over the back part of the_console. This is easy with the Low console but if you_have the High console you will_have to add a hidden "seam" to it to make enough floor length to install the airbed, but this won't change the stock look or feel of the console so no one will notice it._ See instructions (3)

Be sure to lay a rear floor-mat or a folded towel over the seat hinges to protect the airbed.__ To get access into a luggage box, stand at a side door and lift the airbed front and support it on the edge of the open box cover. Lifting the Double-size airbed can slip it up off of the slightly narrower place between the wheel-wells.__ You can apply self-stick 1" x 12" Fabric Velcro tape to each narrow place wall and self stick 1" x 12" Hook Velcro tape to the mattress sides so it will attach and bend there instead of_lifting._ Cut tape ends round and use rubbing alcohol cleaner before applying.

Sleeping overnight in your SUV lets you visit places much further from home without the considerable expense of a motel so you can afford to go more often._ Also, the continuous day-night-day experience outdoors will unwind you like a longer vacation in just a weekend!_ There are so many safe places to overnight that reservations aren't a problem and the stock privacy glass works very well._ Just lock-up at the campsite with nets and beds set-up inside and spend your day and evening free to wander as you intended.__ And what a view! Your "no boundaries" SUV has the extra mobility to camp you where you really want to be: You can be on pebbles at the edge of a fishing stream or on the sandy beach by your boat or up the mountain on a logging road! Get set-up for quick and easy Adventure: Make a box or two and give it a try! The boxes can also carry loose items in your cargo area on day trips!

(2) MAKE_BOXES: See Illustration. These boxes have been test-installed in 2001 through 2005 Escapes and Tributes. Buy materials at a Building Supply or Lumber Yard. Estimated cost: $35 each. Use dimensioned pictures before cutting parts. Suggested cutting tools: inexpensive hand-held electric jigsaw (about $20) and 1/4" electric drill. For each box:

Cut from 1/2" (15/32) plywood: COVER 16-3/4 x 21-1/2; Two SIDE 16-1/4 wide x 8-1/2 high, each with a half-trapezoid corner cutout 2-3/4 wide at 4-5/8 high angled down to 4-1/2 wide at bottom; Two RRSIDE half-trapezoid 4-3/8 high x 2-1/2 wide at top and 4-1/8 wide at bottom; FRONTBRACE 11/16 high x 20-1/2; REARBRACE 1-3/16 high x 12. Alternately, use solid wood for FRONTBRACE and REARBRACE.

Cut from 1/4" (7/32) plywood: FRONT 20-1/2 x 9-1/2; REAR 20-1/2 wide x 10 high with rectangular cutouts 6 high x 4-1/4_wide at both bottom corners; FLOOR 20-1/2 wide x 16-1/4 high with bottom corners cutout_4-1/4 wide x 4-3/8 high; Two RRINSIDE 4-3/4 x 4-3/4; Two RRTOP 2-3/4 wide x 4-3/4 high with one corner cutout 1/4 wide x 1/2 high.

Assembly: test assemble bottom side up on a table: FRONT, SIDES, REAR, FLOOR, FRONTBRACE, REARBRACE._ Put a temporary 1/8" spacer strip under each SIDE to make a slot for later holding the Bridge fins under the Cover. Then GLUE using strong wood-glue, clamp, and let dry. Test assemble topside up: both seat rail relief enclosures: RRINSIDE attaches between FLOOR and REAR, flat edge up, and flush with cutout edge._ RRTOP attaches across edges of side and rear cutouts and RRINSIDE; RRSIDE attaches across angled edges of SIDE and RRINSIDE._ GLUE all parts, clamp and dry._ Sand sharp corners and edges round. Note: very thin wire nails or thin flathead deck screws 1" long in predrilled holes to prevent splitting, can greatly assist assembly and gluing without using clamps but 90% of strength comes from sound glue joints. COVER is centered and attached outside with 3" strap hinges 18" between centers and fastened with 8 flathead machine screws, washers, and nuts locked with glue._ 1/4" or 3/8" nylon rope handles are attached thru holes_7" apart in the sides and knotted at the ends with glue inside the knots. Open the Cover by lifting the front corner at either end.

Make Bridge for installing Airbed: Cut 1/2" plywood 16-3/4 x 8 for High console or x 8-1/2 for Low console; Cut 1/8 thick tempered pressed hardboard, two pieces, 16-1/4 x 2._ Lap-glue to bridge sides, centered and extending out 1-1/4". _

Esc is offline Old Post 06-06-2008 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Esc Find more posts by Esc Add Esc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tron
New Member!

Does anyone have an archive copy of the website posted as the link is long dead?

Tron is offline Old Post 07-25-2009 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tron Find more posts by Tron Add Tron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ove1
Platinum Overdrive

I have a pdf that I could email to you.

ove1 is offline Old Post 07-26-2009 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ove1 Find more posts by ove1 Add ove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tron
New Member!

That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Craig
eclindholm@gmail.com

Tron is offline Old Post 07-26-2009 11:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tron Find more posts by Tron Add Tron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EscapingBob
3rd Gear

ove1 or Tron - Could you please email / forward this PDF to me as well? This sounds really interesting and I'd like to give it a try. -A lot cheaper than a camper or a motel stay!
I really appreciate it. Thank you!

Bob
email removed

Westin Bull Bar, Aux Fog Lights, Yakima Load Warrior Basket (lowered closer to roof) with Custom Antenna Mounts, Window Vents, Bugflector, Custom Lower Grill, Cabin Air Filter, Class III Hitch, Pioneer DEH-P5000UB with iPod/USB connection and JVC MP3 CD Changer, ICOM IC-208H (2M/440 Ant on Rack), Cobra CB (Whip & Spring on Rack)

Last edited by EscapingBob on 07-31-2009 at 03:04 AM

EscapingBob is offline Old Post 07-28-2009 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EscapingBob Find more posts by EscapingBob Add EscapingBob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tron
New Member!

if ove1 doesn't mind, I can send it to you.

Tron is offline Old Post 07-29-2009 04:32 AM
ove1
Platinum Overdrive

I can't believe vaughanjim1, the designer/developer of this Escape camping system, would mind sharing his design with anyone who wants it. I just added some references to the pictures that he had posted and combined them with his text and saved it a few years ago. I assume Craig will email the pdf to EscapingBob, otherwise let me know and I can.

ove1 is offline Old Post 07-29-2009 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ove1 Find more posts by ove1 Add ove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote