Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Please help me with Pop Ups :(
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JustJerk
Platinum Member

If you look, it will also delete registry keys and the EXE files that load in the background. It does more than deletes cookies!

MODS

WetherTech WeatherFlectors
WeatherTech Easy-OnTM Stone and Bug Deflector
Clear Side Markers
DIY - Interior Bike Rack
DIY - Main & Lower Grille Guard
DIY - Cabin Air Filter
Cee Bailey's Sunshields
Evolution 4 Car Cover
Chrome Tribute License Plate Holder
3rd Brake light cover
12" Polished Billet Antenna
Decals - Mazda, Zoom-Zoom, American Flag, No Fear, Jerk Inside, NY Giants Helmet, NY Giants Logo, BigBlueTailgate.com, 4X4, and more

Jest- something done or said in a playful joking manner

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JustJerk is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 06:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustJerk Visit JustJerk's homepage! Find more posts by JustJerk Add JustJerk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartyben
Platinum Member

the point is, you dont really need ad aware because you can delete those things yourself

aluminum wheels
convenience group
cargo cover
napa cabin air filter

spartyben is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartyben Find more posts by spartyben Add spartyben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Zeman
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by spartyben
the point is, you dont really need ad aware because you can delete those things yourself
IF you can identify. The average PeeCee user can run adaware, but the average user mucking around in the registry? PuhLEASE.

Rick Zeman is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 07:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Zeman Find more posts by Rick Zeman Add Rick Zeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartyben
Platinum Member

i agree, i think adaware is a great program for the average pc user...i take it you're a mac lover.....do you know anything about drafting programs? vectorworks in particular

aluminum wheels
convenience group
cargo cover
napa cabin air filter

spartyben is offline Old Post 08-15-2003 07:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartyben Find more posts by spartyben Add spartyben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Myles
3rd Gear

Question What don't I need

quote:
Originally posted by JustJerk
I would run adware from lavasoft; it will clean up your machine very well. You can also customize your startup by typing msconfig in the run line depending on your OS. (click start - then -run). The last tab on the right is your startup tab. I would uncheck all of the nonsense that you don't need, it will speed up your pc!

For the people who have windows 2000! Simply copy it from a Windows XP machine to a Windows 2000 machine, and run it or Download it
msconfig from WinXP

How to Use MSCONFIG

Ok I found that area, how can I tell which things I don't need checked? There are a lot of them. Anyone got a list of useless checks?

PS: I haven't gotten any popups from this site but could unchecking some of those options make my computer run faster anyway?

Myles is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Myles Visit Myles's homepage! Find more posts by Myles Add Myles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jen2002TBXLT
3rd Gear

This is a site that has a very good explanation of all those Startup programs and what is safe to remove...

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Task...es/tasklist.htm

The most common I find that are safe to remove are the following:

PCTSPK.exe (part of Microsoft Speech)
qttask.exe (Quick Time Task)
real.exe (Real Player Quick Launch)
msmsgs.exe (MSN Messenger)
netscp.exe (Netscape Quick Launch)

There are others like DirectCD, mmtask, InCD, NeroCheck, etc. It depends on what programs are installed. I take out pretty much everything except the Anti-Virus stuff.

Good luck!

2005 Limited - Fully Loaded
Alpine 9851 Head Unit
Stampede Bug Deflector
Weathertech Weatherflectors
Ventshade Taillight Covers
Shorty 9" Black Antenna

Jen2002TBXLT is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jen2002TBXLT Visit Jen2002TBXLT's homepage! Find more posts by Jen2002TBXLT Add Jen2002TBXLT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccloseup
Platinum Member

I just downloaded the new 2.0 version of the Google toolbar, which has a pop up blocker built into the bar. It works very welll.. only a couple of ads got through and it has blocked 40 ads in the past 24 hours. I use Google all the time anyway so its a bonus for me! You can opt not to use the popup blocker or let messages through at your discretion. try it! its cool! Peace out CC

ccloseup is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccloseup Find more posts by ccloseup Add ccloseup to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
Platinum Member

Yep..ccloseup..the new Google works great in killing pop ups. The technology is cool. I used to use Popup Killer but with that program I used to have to build the popup blacklist. No need with Google. It just knows.....eerie.

Black splash guards
OEM Bug Deflector
Blizzak DMZ-02 Winter Duelers on steel rims
Krown rust prevention

danno is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danno Find more posts by danno Add danno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

quote:
Originally posted by ccloseup
I just downloaded the new 2.0 version of the Google toolbar

Ok, that get's my thumbs too! Pretty nifty...

Old Post 08-18-2003 11:26 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greyboy
Managing Editor

Thumbs up It's easier than you think !!

Popups can be blocked without using any software. CLICK HERE to learn about a handy little file named "HOSTS".
I've been using this Guy's HOSTS file for a month or so now, and it has blocked 100%, yes 100% of all popups and things like Gator and Precision Time, and their little, "Hey, Click Me, and Download Some Crap onto Your Computer", popup windows.

Heck, give it a try, [belushi]Don't cost nuthun[/belushi], and it's delete-able, iffin you decide you just don't like it.
Before using this file, I was constantly deleting Gator, Precision Time, CMedia, and the like from my hard drive, and I NEVER clicked any of their links... they stick files on your system as soon as the popup is visible, without even clicking anything... that stuff is just way overboard in their little tricks.

GATOR be DAMNED !! (LOL, No, not you Joe)

greyboy is offline Old Post 09-03-2003 06:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for greyboy Find more posts by greyboy Add greyboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Escape SA
New Member!

Get a Mac with OS X and use the Safari browser! You can block pop-ups with one click.

Escape SA is offline Old Post 09-03-2003 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Escape SA Find more posts by Escape SA Add Escape SA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybnormal777
2nd Gear

If you have AOL, they offer a fix. thank god for that, because i was about to cancel my service if they didnt offer it. it was annoying me! Now, all better!

ybnormal777 is offline Old Post 09-03-2003 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybnormal777 Find more posts by ybnormal777 Add ybnormal777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccloseup
Platinum Member

Its been 2 weeks since I downloaded Google toolbar with the pop up stopper..and so far it has blocked 501 pop up ads!! ( It keeps track on the toolbar) That's a lot of time I saved not having to click off on those suckers! CC:smirk:

ccloseup is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccloseup Find more posts by ccloseup Add ccloseup to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEHR655
Managing Editor

quote:
Originally posted by ccloseup
Its been 2 weeks since I downloaded Google toolbar with the pop up stopper..and so far it has blocked 501 pop up ads!! ( It keeps track on the toolbar) That's a lot of time I saved not having to click off on those suckers! CC:smirk:

Wow, you must have a lot of crap on you 'puter. I've had mine for a little longer and it has only stopped 22. None have gotten through. I think you need to get AdAware.

BEHR655 is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BEHR655 Find more posts by BEHR655 Add BEHR655 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote