Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Please help me with Pop Ups :(
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ccloseup
Platinum Member

Guilty! I do have a lot of crap..I visit lots of sites and even though I clean out the cache regularly, the pop ups haunt me like last night's onions! Oh well at least now I don't have to see 'em .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccloseup is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccloseup Find more posts by ccloseup Add ccloseup to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fitzy
Hyperdrive

Cookies! Did someone say cookies?

Australians do it - umop apisdn
Daylesford Australia is currently:

HAD a 2003/4 ZA RHD Ford Escape XLT
V6 AWD all (production) options (incl sunroof) except leather and side impact bags.
Quicksilver color. No mods other than headlight upgrade and "Green" front brakepads to get rid of black dust.
2006/7 - Ssangyong Rexton-II (SUV) Mod is airbags and chrome valve caps.
2007/8 - SsangYong Musso Sports - diesel/gas kit - airbags - exhaust mod 3"

2009 Hyundai iLoad (H1)

Fitzy is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 05:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fitzy Visit Fitzy's homepage! Find more posts by Fitzy Add Fitzy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartyben
Platinum Member

greyboy-i am using the hosts file you recommended and it works like a charm. although it blocked yahoo (which was a pain to unblock) i am extremely pleased with it. its amazing to look through the file and see all the popups that its blocking...WOW

aluminum wheels
convenience group
cargo cover
napa cabin air filter

spartyben is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartyben Find more posts by spartyben Add spartyben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ove1
Platinum Overdrive

You must not be using XP Professional. I tried that large hosts file and it slows XP to a crawl.

ove1 is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 06:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ove1 Find more posts by ove1 Add ove1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thunderball
Hyperdrive

I use the Spybot to prevent the targeted ones, I can deal with the few random ones that pop up everytime a certain page is opened, like my local news channel. But the Spybot has cut down on a lot of them and it's fairly easy to run on an archaic computer like the ones here at work. Just 2cents, carry on.

Thunderball

Had: a Chrome Yellow 2002 V-6 XLT FWD "The Bus"
Had: a Solar Yellow 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Turbo with StageI boost upgrade and K&N filter "Speedy"
NOW: Citron Green 2004 C230 Coupe w/6 speed
6yrs PNET free

Thunderball is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderball Find more posts by Thunderball Add Thunderball to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fitzy
Hyperdrive

Re: POPUPS and ADVERT BLOCKING

I have been using a "Freedom" product which is excellent.
I got it as a freebie program on the CD with some D-Link brand wireless network gear.

Aside from stopping pop-ups (little ones - so you still get the legitimate useful ones) it also has an excellent Ad-Manager so you prune out all the annoying adverts in web pages. Especially those flashing or moving ones which are usually right in the middle of an article you are trying to read.

I see they also sell the program. Here's the website and screenshots

FREEWARE:
========
1: See Primedious Lite HERE (rated 3 cows on Tucows)

2: See PhaseOut V5 (rated 4 cows on Tucows) HERE noting that this one is actually a modification to Internet Explorer but it's free and quite versatile and described as:-

This is a multi-tabbed browser with clean up control, smart popup blocker, and flash skin manager. It also provides photo-mail for sending Web cam images, a controller for full screen navigation, advanced search tools, and a favorites and history organizer. It includes a messenger and e-mail add ons. PhaseOut offers professional customizations, company logo and style, customized e-mails, channels and ads remote administrator management, hard coded proxy setting, parental control, system access prevention and system remote control.

P.S. : If you've not heard of Tucows see www.tucows.com for all sorts of software free and shareware.

V6 AWD all (production) options (incl sunroof) except leather and side impact bags.
Quicksilver color. No mods other than headlight upgrade and "Green" front brakepads to get rid of black dust.

2009 Hyundai iLoad (H1)

Fitzy is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fitzy Visit Fitzy's homepage! Find more posts by Fitzy Add Fitzy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sg1ama
Platinum Overdrive

To block pop ups
-Disable JavaScript (Ive never seen a website that uses it for anything else anyways except annoyances)
-Use SpyBot Search & Destroy (AdAware was good, but there updates have fallen way behind the pack nowadays)
-Use Opera (or Netscape) as only IE allows that kind of stuff to happen (like all the other MS bugs (aka features)

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)

sg1ama is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sg1ama Find more posts by sg1ama Add sg1ama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartyben
Platinum Member

i use netscape....although a very small few websites will not work with netscape (including my bank) i think that its far superior to IE in terms of things out "to get it"

aluminum wheels
convenience group
cargo cover
napa cabin air filter

spartyben is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartyben Find more posts by spartyben Add spartyben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sg1ama
Platinum Overdrive

LOL

The crazy thing is, Netscape is far more secure than IE is (check the number of exploits) so for bank not to support them...

Complain to the lazy bastards to fix their site
(or switch banks, Scotia, ING, & Montreal all def work with alternative browsers)

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)

sg1ama is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sg1ama Find more posts by sg1ama Add sg1ama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fitzy
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by sg1ama
LOL

The crazy thing is, Netscape is far more secure than IE is (check the number of exploits) so for bank not to support them...

Complain to the lazy bastards to fix their site
(or switch banks, Scotia, ING, & Montreal all def work with alternative browsers)

I doubt that Netscape is more secure in so far as it's market share is so low, hackers just don't bother exploiting it.

Netscape's market share a year ago had fallen to 3.4% leaving Mozilla and Opera to share just 1% while IE has the rest.

Netscape doesn't do much very well and web designers have to add workarounds to accomodate it's inconsistencies. If you want to be anti-Microsoft (and I don't like MS either) you'd be better off with Mozilla (which is pretty good now) or Opera.

There is no chance the Banks will change their on-line banking to suit so few potential users.

2009 Hyundai iLoad (H1)

Fitzy is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 04:03 AM
JustJerk
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by spartyben
i use netscape....although a very small few websites will not work with netscape (including my bank) i think that its far superior to IE in terms of things out "to get it"
I'm surprise no one mentioned that AOL will no longer update Netscape.

MODS

WetherTech WeatherFlectors
WeatherTech Easy-OnTM Stone and Bug Deflector
Clear Side Markers
DIY - Interior Bike Rack
DIY - Main & Lower Grille Guard
DIY - Cabin Air Filter
Cee Bailey's Sunshields
Evolution 4 Car Cover
Chrome Tribute License Plate Holder
3rd Brake light cover
12" Polished Billet Antenna
Decals - Mazda, Zoom-Zoom, American Flag, No Fear, Jerk Inside, NY Giants Helmet, NY Giants Logo, BigBlueTailgate.com, 4X4, and more

Jest- something done or said in a playful joking manner

JustJerk is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 05:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustJerk Visit JustJerk's homepage! Find more posts by JustJerk Add JustJerk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Zeman
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by JustJerk
I'm surprise no one mentioned that AOL will no longer update Netscape.
It's not true. They're not embedding it in AOL (how stupid is THAT decision?), nor are they corporately supporting Mozilla, but they're not killing Netscape. If you know otherwise, point me to a link.

Rick Zeman is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Zeman Find more posts by Rick Zeman Add Rick Zeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote