Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > NEWS: Coming SOON - New 2005 Escape Design!!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NzDeV
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

quote:
Originally posted by KimieKat76
I have had a car with a floor shifter and I have to admit I loved it and one issue I had with the Escape was getting used to the shifter on the steering column.

I have to admit it took some getting used to but I have no problem changing gears or shifting my wipers on. I do not get them confused nor do I have issues when off roading. I think it is really a matter of change and people being used to one way of doing things. Regardless it works fine and perfectly well for me.

I was looking over these pics closely. The freelander is not related to the Escape at all? This picture looks very similar to the Escape. Look at the front grill opening, the headlights, it's even got the round foggers down below. Is this a Land Rover original design or was Ford copying the Freelander when they came up with Escapes?

PS: I'd prefer the shifter on the floor too, just a vanity issue with me, I think it looks better down there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NzDeV is offline Old Post 08-25-2003 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NzDeV Find more posts by NzDeV Add NzDeV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

quote:
Originally posted by NzDeV
Is this a Land Rover original design or was Ford copying the Freelander when they came up with Escapes?

Two completely seperate vehicles. As LR was still in BMW hands when Ford was finishing up the Escape I doubt that there was any real cross-polination. Plus, in the real world they couldn't look more different.

Old Post 08-25-2003 03:20 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

Re: 2005 New Ford Escape Design

quote:
Originally posted by WhatsNew
Sometime after the 2005 model year redesign, Ford will begin building Escape on the same platform as the Land Rover Freelander SUV. Ford owns Land Rover and maximizing profits and economies of scale will require Ford to pare down the number of platforms they use to produce these vehicles.

Hmm...

Autoweek Article on next Gen Focus

"...More than a dozen vehicles are slated to be derived from the C1 platform, from Ford Focus convertibles to Mazda3 hatchbacks to Volvo S40 sedans to Land Rover Freelander sport wagons..."

AFAIK the Next Gen Escape is rumoured to be based on the Mazzer 6 platform.

Old Post 08-25-2003 03:58 PM
NzDeV
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

quote:
Originally posted by SullyND
Two completely seperate vehicles. As LR was still in BMW hands when Ford was finishing up the Escape I doubt that there was any real cross-polination. Plus, in the real world they couldn't look more different.

BMW had Land Rover? They must be kickin themselves since the day they sold it. I think the Mini is one of the smartest purchases a car company ever made. I am seeing those things everywhere nowadays. I still think the 'Scape looks amazingly like the Freelander (or vice-a-versa?) I mean compare these 2 to the hideous other same sized SUV's like Toyota RAV, CRV or others and the front ends, grills, lights, and even skid plates on the Scapes/Freelanders look amazingly similar IMO.

NzDeV is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NzDeV Find more posts by NzDeV Add NzDeV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

quote:
Originally posted by NzDeV
BMW had Land Rover?

Yep. The Big LR is largely a BMW designed vehicle, even has a BMW Engine (Though that is rumored to be changing). BMW got Land Rover when it bought Rover, this is also how it came about working on the MINI. They sold Rover and Land Rover seperately, and kept the new MINI for themselves.

Old Post 08-29-2003 11:24 PM
JustJerk
Platinum Member

Wink New Land Rover Freelander Look

Land Rover Rolls Out New Freelander
SUV buyers may notice some significant changes when the 2004 Freelander hits showrooms. The British automaker’s smallest ute will undergo a number of changes front and back, including new “pocket lamp” headlights, and a cleaner, more stylish tail. The interior gets a bit more ergonomic and refined. And the compact Freelander’s suspension is being lowered and firmed up, making it a better package for on as well as off-road, according to Managing Director Matthew Taylor. “It’s a true crossover vehicle,” he said during the Freelander’s Frankfurt roll-out, “ideally suited to the urban lifestyle.” The automaker, meanwhile, quick and subtle hint of new products to come starting next year when an all-new, dedicated Land Rover platform goes into production on a new production line. The simple line drawing hinted of an edgy body shape, more in line with new crossovers, such as the Nissan Murano, than the conventional, boxy Land Rover.

Much improvement! Still can't see spending the extra $ for it!

MODS

WetherTech WeatherFlectors
WeatherTech Easy-OnTM Stone and Bug Deflector
Clear Side Markers
DIY - Interior Bike Rack
DIY - Main & Lower Grille Guard
DIY - Cabin Air Filter
Cee Bailey's Sunshields
Evolution 4 Car Cover
Chrome Tribute License Plate Holder
3rd Brake light cover
12" Polished Billet Antenna
Decals - Mazda, Zoom-Zoom, American Flag, No Fear, Jerk Inside, NY Giants Helmet, NY Giants Logo, BigBlueTailgate.com, 4X4, and more

Jest- something done or said in a playful joking manner

JustJerk is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustJerk Visit JustJerk's homepage! Find more posts by JustJerk Add JustJerk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Zeman
Hyperdrive

Looks like an even more manly Escape (gee, how did that happen?) I like!

Rick Zeman is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Zeman Find more posts by Rick Zeman Add Rick Zeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

Re: New Land Rover Freelander Look

quote:
Originally posted by JustJerk
according to Managing Director Matthew Taylor. “It’s a true crossover vehicle,” he said during the Freelander’s Frankfurt roll-out, “ideally suited to the urban lifestyle.” The automaker, meanwhile, quick and subtle hint of new products to come starting next year when an all-new, dedicated Land Rover platform goes into production on a new production line. The simple line drawing hinted of an edgy body shape, more in line with new crossovers, such as the Nissan Murano, than the conventional, boxy Land Rover.

Hmmm...

quote:
Originally posted by WhatsNew
Sometime after the 2005 model year redesign, Ford will begin building Escape on the same platform as the Land Rover Freelander SUV. Ford owns Land Rover and maximizing profits and economies of scale will require Ford to pare down the number of platforms they use to produce these vehicles.

Hmm...

Autoweek Article on next Gen Focus

"...More than a dozen vehicles are slated to be derived from the C1 platform, from Ford Focus convertibles to Mazda3 hatchbacks to Volvo S40 sedans to Land Rover Freelander sport wagons..."

It's the which platform is it game! Dedicated LR, Mazzer 6, or Mazzer 3.

Old Post 09-11-2003 12:52 AM
bzcat
Platinum Member

floor shifter is precise and logical for most people.

Column shifter, at least the one on the Escape is vauge (where is reverse and where is neutral?) and counter-intuiative to most people.

One thing I don't like about my Escape is I always end up in reverse when I want to put it in neutral from drive and sometime when i take it out of park to reverse, it ends up in neutral. Floor shifter would not have this problem.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote