Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Sad Clear Key Story
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Yellow01XLT
3rd Gear

Sad Clear Key Story

I saw these neet clear keys on this site. I thought how cool!!! So I ordered 2 for my Escape. I got them today. Went too Ford and had them cut. I had forgot too take the second orginal key with me, so I decided to program them myself. I got my owners manual. Followed the directions on how too do it. Now the sad part. None of the keys work. I have to have it towed to dealer to have them reprogram the keys. I guess I did something wrong. Thank Goodness for AAA.

Tinted front side windows 20%, bug/stone guard. Vent Visors.
Intro-Tech Sunshade

My main ride is a
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra
http://members.cardomain.com/venum2

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Yellow01XLT is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow01XLT Find more posts by Yellow01XLT Add Yellow01XLT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quango
2nd Gear

Sorry to hear about this. I think there are some step by step directions on this site for how to program your keys. Maybe they would have helped?

quango is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for quango Find more posts by quango Add quango to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DRM
Platinum Overdrive

quote:
Originally posted by quango
Sorry to hear about this. I think there are some step by step directions on this site for how to program your keys. Maybe they would have helped?

It's in the owners manual

DRM is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DRM Find more posts by DRM Add DRM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

You probably put in one of the non-programmed keys in at the wrong time and enabled the theft system... The instructions are indeed on the site and in the OM... Use the Search feature for more...

quote:
Originally posted by jeffwingo
I ordered a pair of replacement blank transponder keys for my Tribby for $20 each and took them to Lowes to get them cut. The guy at Lowes wanted me to make sure that the key fit so after he cut the first one, I went out to the car, put it in the ignition and turned it, knowing that the car would not start with it until I programmed it. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!

After getting the second key cut, I went out and put the original key in and tried to start my car: NOTHING!!!. The key turns to the ON position but the car does not crank. OH ^$#$! I messed up the Anti-theft system. I called Mazda and they told me that I would have to have it towed to a dealer for reprogramming. I called my dealer and they told me I would have to have the car towed to them for reprogramming. I called AAA to have the car towed to the dealer for reprogramming.

In the mean time I tried the key again as well as the other original key that I had my family bring over to me...still nothing. About 30 minutes later the tow truck came and the guy asked for my key so that he could take it out of gear...he turned the key and ZOOM ZOOM...the stinking thing started. The tow truck guy laughed and went on his way. But I was curious...what was it that allowed the thing to start...just waiting? a particular combination of events (i.e. putting it out of park, opening the door, turning the key three times and saying "There's no place like home.) I wasn't sure, but when I did attempt to program the new keys, it did it again. &^%&%&^!!!!!

So I recreated the events that allowed the tow truck guy to start it. I got out of the car. Locked the doors. Unlocked the doors. Turned the key on and off. Shifted it into Neutral. Shifted it back to park. Turned the key: ZOOM ZOOM. I tried it a second time and I was able to reset the thing again in just 10 seconds.

What do I know that neither Mazda nor the dealer were willing to tell me?

By the way. I was able to program the new keys.

Old Post 11-11-2003 04:45 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yellow01XLT
3rd Gear

Thanks, but I read the owners manual 3 times and left the new keys on the seat till I had done the orginal 2 first. I may have messed up on the timing thing.

Intro-Tech Sunshade

My main ride is a
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

Yellow01XLT is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow01XLT Find more posts by Yellow01XLT Add Yellow01XLT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmp102
Hyperdrive

You mean that if you screw up during the process your dead?! I thought that as long as you had your two keys, no problem ..........YOW, then I'll leave it to the dealer to do!

'04 Dark Shadow Grey Escape
4x4 XLT
Side Airbags
Moonroof
Remote Start

rmp102 is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rmp102 Find more posts by rmp102 Add rmp102 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yellow01XLT
3rd Gear

Sully man I love you. This will teach me to read the whole post. This morning I went out and tried what you said you did in your post. I even said "Theres no place like home, There's no place like home" Zoom..Zoom... I will take it too the dealer this afternoon after work and let them do it. Thanks again Sully. Now you can tell anyone else with problen to hit search. David

Intro-Tech Sunshade

My main ride is a
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

Yellow01XLT is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 02:30 PM
Mustang GT
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Re: Sad Clear Key Story

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow01XLT
I saw these neet clear keys on this site. I thought how cool!!! So I ordered 2 for my Escape. I got them today...

Dumb question: What is a "neet clear key"? I must have missed something.

'02 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4x4, "Desert", ABS, 3-in-1 Audio, Weather Tech mats. Mods: 17x8 AT Italia 7200 wheels, Dunlop 255/60/17 Winter Sport tires, Raybestos PGD843M "dustless" brake pads, Highland BodyGuard splash guards, Mazda pollen/dust filter, "Tribute" decal on 3rd brake light.
CLICK ON PIC TO ZOOM

Mustang GT is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 03:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang GT Find more posts by Mustang GT Add Mustang GT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

"neet (SIC) clear key"

(This is 2G Sport 's key)

They are available on Ebay - They're no different from the black keys, except for the fact that they are clear.

Old Post 11-11-2003 04:38 PM
Yellow01XLT
3rd Gear

P.S. They come in diffrent colors. Mine is yellow.

Intro-Tech Sunshade

My main ride is a
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra

Yellow01XLT is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 07:01 PM
SullyND

quote:
Sully man I love you. This will teach me to read the whole post. This morning I went out and tried what you said you did in your post. I even said "Theres no place like home, There's no place like home" Zoom..Zoom... I will take it too the dealer this afternoon after work and let them do it. Thanks again Sully. Now you can tell anyone else with problen to hit search. David

Glad it worked for you! I've never had to do it myself, jeffwingo did I nice job of writing it up... Yellow eh? Don't let Scapee know...

Old Post 11-11-2003 07:03 PM
catkabob
Platinum Member

Re: Sad Clear Key Story

quote:
I have to have it towed to dealer to have them reprogram the keys. I guess I did something wrong. Thank Goodness for AAA.

Doesn't Ford offer tow in warranty?

Had a 2001 Mazda Tribute DX 4x4
Sunburst Red Metallic

catkabob is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for catkabob Find more posts by catkabob Add catkabob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilverSliver
1st Gear

The computer seems to be smart enough to reset itself after a while. I accidentally shorted out something and blew a fuse when installing a new stereo. I replaced the fuse, but for the next couple of hours, everytime I started the engine, the speedometer would zoom all the way around the dial and stick there for a couple of seconds before returning to 0. All the other gauges were wacky too. I let the Escape sit for a couple of hours and everything went back to normal.

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

SilverSliver is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilverSliver Find more posts by SilverSliver Add SilverSliver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Jim
Platinum Overdrive

If you do screw up you can usually just wait a few minutes and try again. If the theft light is still flashing when you insert a good key you usually just need to walk away for about five minutes and try again.

It is critically important that both original keys be inserted on at a time before inserting a new key and then both original keys again before an additional new key.

Big Jim is offline Old Post 11-12-2003 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Jim Find more posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote