Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > (_RESULTS_) ...Are you worried about Ford?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dougvk
New Member!

Ford seems to be making progress. Q1 profits were $896 million vs $1.1 billion lost in q1 2002. And while sales are slowing, Bill Ford looks to be doing a good job getting costs under control (unfortunately resulting in the "de-contenting" of our beloved Escapes) and getting the company focused. Remember, a lot of this mess can be blamed squarely on Jacques Nassar, who just couldn't keep his management ducks in a row.

Ford's quality appears to be improving -- recalls are down and presumably warranty costs are dropping too.

Even better news, Ford is debuting an all-new F150 this summer, which is the cash cow in the lineup. It's sure to be a hit, although Ford probably won't be able to hold the line on pricing.

There are definitely some challenges ahead. All the easy cuts have been made; the economy remains soft; there's too much capacity in the industry and incentives are devouring profits. Ford needs to shoot Mercury now, target a new demographic for Lincoln (hint: who's buying all the Navigators?), and wring some profit out of Jag.

On the bright side, Volvos are selling like crazy, especially the expensive ones, and Land Rover continues to make gains. And the new models in the pipeline (Futura and 500) promise to be some of the best cars the company has ever made. So I think Ford is coming back.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dougvk is offline Old Post 05-21-2003 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dougvk Find more posts by dougvk Add dougvk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

quote:
Originally posted by dougvk
There are definitely some challenges ahead. All the easy cuts have been made; the economy remains soft; there's too much capacity in the industry and incentives are devouring profits. Ford needs to shoot Mercury now, target a new demographic for Lincoln (hint: who's buying all the Navigators?), and wring some profit out of Jag.

Mercury is poised for a turn around (I'd buy a Mariner if I were replacing my 'scape) and more importantly, Lincoln needs Mercury (Or at least the dealers do)

Old Post 05-21-2003 08:58 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bolita
2nd Gear

Except for Jaguar all the of the brands are coming back. I agree with SullyND...Mercury WILL make a comeback.

bolita is offline Old Post 05-22-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bolita Find more posts by bolita Add bolita to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bolita
2nd Gear

Im sure that the problems you had with your Windstar will not occur with the Escape.

bolita is offline Old Post 05-24-2003 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bolita Find more posts by bolita Add bolita to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
escapeohio
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

quote:
Originally posted by bolita
Im sure that the problems you had with your Windstar will not occur with the Escape.

I wouldn't count on it... with Ford's poor quality control and use of cheap parts any of their cars could fail. I know I am in the minority here, but I personally will NEVER buy another Ford. I want to love my Escape, I have tried very hard, but I just cannot get past all of the problems and how the dealers have treated me and my wife. I will keep my Escape for about five more years simply becasue I have to, but my next car will deffinately not be a Ford.

escapeohio is offline Old Post 05-24-2003 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for escapeohio Find more posts by escapeohio Add escapeohio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmp102
Hyperdrive

I think Chrysler has more woes, but believe that all American manufacturers should wake up and see the light of day. Build a quality product and customers will knock at your door. Shoody workmanship just turns people off!

'04 Dark Shadow Grey Escape
4x4 XLT
Side Airbags
Moonroof
Remote Start

rmp102 is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rmp102 Find more posts by rmp102 Add rmp102 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shavers
Neutral

quote:
Originally posted by rmp102
I think Chrysler has more woes, but believe that all American manufacturers should wake up and see the light of day. Build a quality product and customers will knock at your door. Shoody workmanship just turns people off!

We did some research on the Jeep Grand Cherokee because they were offerening some give-away leasing deals on them but the complaints about reliability and workmanship were horrible. Hard to believe this is the same company that runs Mercedes.

Shavers is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Shavers Visit Shavers's homepage! Find more posts by Shavers Add Shavers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND

Toyota has surpassed Ford as the Worlds #2 Automaker for the first time. I personally don't car where the car is from, if it fits my needs when I am buying I will buy it (This one happened to be a domestic, if Toyota offered the same thing I would have gone with it)

Old Post 11-10-2003 11:57 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
escapeohio
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

quote:
Originally posted by Shavers
We did some research on the Jeep Grand Cherokee because they were offerening some give-away leasing deals on them but the complaints about reliability and workmanship were horrible. Hard to believe this is the same company that runs Mercedes.

Mercedes has also come under fire lately for having unreliable vehicles. This was the first year they received poor marks from JDPowers for initial quality & reliability.

escapeohio is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for escapeohio Find more posts by escapeohio Add escapeohio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLCalling
Platinum Overdrive

I believe the Mercedes SUVs were judged to be the most troublesome of any SUVs.

FLCalling is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for FLCalling Find more posts by FLCalling Add FLCalling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thunderball
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by FLCalling

Built in Alabama, what do you expect

Had: a Chrome Yellow 2002 V-6 XLT FWD "The Bus"
Had: a Solar Yellow 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Turbo with StageI boost upgrade and K&N filter "Speedy"
NOW: Citron Green 2004 C230 Coupe w/6 speed
6yrs PNET free

Thunderball is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderball Find more posts by Thunderball Add Thunderball to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomR
Platinum Overdrive

quote:
Originally posted by FLCalling

That's true.... when they first came out, they had the horrible ratings, even by SUV standards.

They are better now, but still rank on the low side.

TomR is offline Old Post 11-12-2003 01:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TomR Find more posts by TomR Add TomR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote