Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > BREAKING NEWS: More Horsepower - New 3.5 V6 Engine !!!
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
WhatsNew
News and Info

Arrow NEWS: Powerful New V6 Engine Coming...

<a href="http://escape-central.com>Ford Escape</a>
More Horsepower For Our Escapes?
New Ford V-6 engine
to be built in Ohio

Detroit News, Dearborn... Ford Motor Co. will announce plans today to build a sophisticated new V-6 engine, a move that could give the company a fighting chance in the battle for horsepower supremacy.

The all-aluminum 3.5-liter V-6 engine -- which has been delayed at least twice -- is set to go into production at Ford's engine plant at Lima, Ohio, in late 2005. The plant could produce up to 300,000 of the new engines a year.

More details will be announced... at a ceremony today at the Lima plant, company spokesman Joe Koenig said. Ford would not disclose how much it will invest to produce the new engine, but the total investment could reach hundreds of millions of dollars.

The new production line is not expected to create a significant number of new jobs at the factory, which employs 1,600.

The engine fills a glaring gap in Ford's product arsenal -- a high-powered V-6 engine for mid-size vehicles across the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands.

• "Horsepower is becoming the new mantra," said Michael Robinet, an ....yst with CSM Worldwide who tracks automakers' production plans. "This move is all about keeping pace in horsepower wars."

• Japanese automakers, including Nissan Motor Co., Toyota Motor Co.p., and Honda Motor Co., are on the leading edge of a movement to produce engines that produce more horsepower without sacrificing fuel economy.

Nissan's 3.5-liter V-6 engine -- which powers the Altima and Maxima sedans, the 350Z sports coupe and the Murano sport wagon -- can generate up to 280 horsepower.

Honda's 3.5-liter engine, produced down the road from Lima in Anna, Ohio, also has struck a chord with American buyers of Accord sedans and Pilot sport utility vehicles.

The new Ford engine, which will be named Duratec, will feature a double overhead cam and variable valve timing.

Ford is likely to offer the engine in a number of sedans and crossover vehicles. The new Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle crossover, for example, will debut next year equipped with Ford's 3.0-liter V-6 engine, which can produce 200 horsepower. In 2006, though, Ford is expected to offer the vehicles with the new 3.5-liter Duratec.

The new engine will also be integral to Ford's plans to build up to 10 mid-size cars and crossovers, including the Ford Futura, off the basic chassis of the Mazda6 sedan.

"A high-tech, high-horsepower engine is really becoming the price of entry for mid-size cars," said George Peterson, president of AutoPacific, an automotive marketing firm. "The Japanese have been raising the bar."

Ford's board of directors signed off on the new engine line last week during a regular meeting in Dearborn. The automaker received state and local tax breaks to invest in the Lima plant. Local officials passed a memorandum of understanding last month agreeing to forgo tax collections on the new engine line if Ford agreed to donate 40 percent of the tax to the local school district, according to Ohio and Ford officials.

(C) WhatsNew @ Escape-Central

Have You Seen Our ...
Escape-Central Photo Albums
Site Homepage
Take Delivery Checklist
Latest Escape & Tribute Videos

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WhatsNew is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WhatsNew Visit WhatsNew's homepage! Find more posts by WhatsNew Add WhatsNew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bolita
2nd Gear

New 3.5 Engine

I just saw in the news that Ford will begin to produce a new 3.5 Duratec V6 engine. I'd bet it will make it into the next Escape in 2005 or 2006.

bolita is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bolita Find more posts by bolita Add bolita to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Decker
4th Gear

Wow, did it say how much horsepower it would have?

Decker is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Decker Find more posts by Decker Add Decker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bolita
2nd Gear

No, but over 220HP is expected by Automotive News. My guess is 240HP

bolita is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bolita Find more posts by bolita Add bolita to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenman
Platinum Member

Thumbs up FORD V-6 ARTICLE

Link to DETROIT INSIDER

BILL

greenman is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 05:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for greenman Find more posts by greenman Add greenman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ESCAPEMAX
Shifting Up To
Another Milestone !!!
Congrats on 3500 !!!

I'M WAITING.
Now all we need is a Nitrous kit, Cold air induction, Motech exhaust, T4 turbo.
Escapemax

ESCAPEMAX is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ESCAPEMAX Find more posts by ESCAPEMAX Add ESCAPEMAX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom W
3rd Gear

quote:
Originally posted by ESCAPEMAX
I'M WAITING.
Escapemax

Heck, I'd settle for just the 3.5L!!

2003 XLT 4X2, Dark Shadow Gray
Borla cat-back, rewired fogs.

Tom W is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tom W Find more posts by Tom W Add Tom W to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
omio
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by ESCAPEMAX
I'M WAITING.
Escapemax

I just had a Fast and the Furious flashback...WHOA

On a serious note, I look forward to more hp and I'd almost put money on it that it will get better gas mileage.

'02 Red Sport XLT No Boundaries-Borla Cat back-Westin Safari Bar w/ PIAA 520 Fog-Donelly Auto-Dimming/Compass/Temp Mirror-Auto Start-Bug Delfector and Wind Deflectors-Bridgestone Dueller A/T (Revos) - Hate Them

'04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

(\__/)
(='.'=)Please remember...
(")_(")Half the people you know are below average!!!

omio is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 03:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for omio Visit omio's homepage! Find more posts by omio Add omio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mustang GT
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Re: FORD V-6 ARTICLE

quote:
....Honda's 3.5-liter engine, produced down the road from Lima in Anna, Ohio, also has struck a chord with American buyers of Accord sedans and Pilot sport utility vehicles....

Too bad they don't get their facts straight. The Accord V6 is 3.0 liters and makes 240 horsepower. It is a great engine! Ford is sooooo far behind the Japanese in engine technology that it isn't even funny.

'02 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4x4, "Desert", ABS, 3-in-1 Audio, Weather Tech mats. Mods: 17x8 AT Italia 7200 wheels, Dunlop 255/60/17 Winter Sport tires, Raybestos PGD843M "dustless" brake pads, Highland BodyGuard splash guards, Mazda pollen/dust filter, "Tribute" decal on 3rd brake light.
CLICK ON PIC TO ZOOM

Mustang GT is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 03:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang GT Find more posts by Mustang GT Add Mustang GT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bzcat
Platinum Member

Ford annoucne new 3.5 liter Duratec varient

So Ford is building a new engine plant to make 3.5 liter "Duratec". I wonder how related is this new Duratec to the current one? 245 hp certainly would be good news in the Escape!

Ford Tooling Up for New V-6

Ford says it will build a new V-6 engine in Lima, Ohio, starting with a 3.5-liter V-6. The new engine, to be dubbed Duratec, will be used in future Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. The engine will be an aluminum dual overhead cam design with four valves per cylinder. Ford will spend $335 million at its Lima Engine Plant to build the engine, beginning in late 2005. The company estimates it will produce 325,000 of the engines each year.

Story here

also news release here

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bzcat
Platinum Member

Re: Re: FORD V-6 ARTICLE

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang GT
Too bad they don't get their facts straight. The Accord V6 is 3.0 liters and makes 240 horsepower. It is a great engine! Ford is sooooo far behind the Japanese in engine technology that it isn't even funny.

How do you back up that statement?

Japanese are not ahead in engine technology. Everything in a Honda engine is also find in a Ford engine... I don't understand why you would something like that. Variable valve timing is in most Ford overhead V6 and V8 engine and Ford matches Honda valve for valve, and cam for cam... where is the "falling behind part"?

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bodegabay
Platinum Member

Re: Re: FORD V-6 ARTICLE

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang GT

as much disdain as i have for japanese styling (at least for the most part), i have to admit that their engine tech is excellent as it gets.

and isn't it ironic that the vue will have the honda pilot/acura mdx powerful v6 next year? drool.

bodegabay is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bodegabay Find more posts by bodegabay Add bodegabay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mustang GT
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Re: Re: Re: FORD V-6 ARTICLE

quote:
Originally posted by bzcat
How do you back up that statement?

Japanese are not ahead in engine technology. Everything in a Honda engine is also find in a Ford engine... I don't understand why you would something like that. Variable valve timing is in most Ford overhead V6 and V8 engine and Ford matches Honda valve for valve, and cam for cam... where is the "falling behind part"?

All I can say is:

3.0 Honda V6 = 240 HP

3.0 Ford V6 = 200 HP

It's not how many cams or valves you have, it's what you do with them. Besides, the 3.0 in our Escape/Tribute does not have variable timing. Neither do the Mustang/truck SOHC and DOHC V8s. Imagine if they did.

'02 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4x4, "Desert", ABS, 3-in-1 Audio, Weather Tech mats. Mods: 17x8 AT Italia 7200 wheels, Dunlop 255/60/17 Winter Sport tires, Raybestos PGD843M "dustless" brake pads, Highland BodyGuard splash guards, Mazda pollen/dust filter, "Tribute" decal on 3rd brake light.
CLICK ON PIC TO ZOOM

Mustang GT is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang GT Find more posts by Mustang GT Add Mustang GT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
Platinum Member

The same Duratec in the Mazda 6 and Jaguar S-Type get 220 HP. Base LS gets that engine also.

They do have variable cams. Slightly less torque in those engines at about 196 ft-lbs, which is what the Escape needs.

Black splash guards
OEM Bug Deflector
Blizzak DMZ-02 Winter Duelers on steel rims
Krown rust prevention

danno is offline Old Post 07-16-2003 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danno Find more posts by danno Add danno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote