Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > Firestone or Uniroyal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
biker
New Member!

Firestone or Uniroyal

Hello,

It has been a while since I have been posting on here but I know everyone here is helpful I am here to ask questions.

I am putting new tires on my 02 Escape XLS AWD and I have narrowed down my choices to a few tires and need opinion on those tires only.

I want either the Firestone Destination LE, the same in th AT or Uniroyal Laredo cross country.

Can anybody sound off as to which is best all around, in the snow, mileage etc. they all cost around the same at Tire warehouse here in Maine.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 10-18-2006 05:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kkreit01
Platinum Member

Firestone -- check the reviews on tirerack.com.

kkreit01 is offline Old Post 10-18-2006 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kkreit01 Find more posts by kkreit01 Add kkreit01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
New Member!

Yeah I have looked at Tirerack but they don't have the Cross Country listed at all. I like the higher rating of the Firestone Destination but Tire warehouse does not stock them and they do have the Laredo Cross Contrys in stock.

biker is offline Old Post 10-19-2006 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
New Member!

The only two aspects of these tires that I am concerned about are winter traction and tire wear. I don't need the winter traction of a dedicated snow tire but would like some snow traction along with decent tread life.

I know the only review that truly matters is my own but i can take what a bunch of other people say and add to what I may already know and hopefully come up with something useful.

I just havent seen many reviews of the laredo Cross Country.

biker is offline Old Post 10-19-2006 05:12 AM
Robowang
Platinum Member

I have about 6Kmiles on my Firestone Destination A/T's.
I am really surprised at the dry and wet traction. Have not felt any hydroplaning and hardly ever spin the tires from a stop like the stock tires. And, I THINK the snow traction will be pretty good by the looks of the tread design.
I went with the stock size (235/70/16) but I think the 245's would have been a better choice.
Here is a pic with about 1Kmiles.

Mods - Power Leather Seats with 60/40 split in rear - Padded Center Console - Passenger Under Seat Drawer - Overhead Console - Rear Power Point- Illuminated Window Master Control Unit - Cold Air Intake - Magnaflo Dual Exhaust - SCT XCAL2 - 2005 Mercury Mariner Wheels Powdercoated Black Pearl - Firestone Destination A/T - Cobra Lugs and Center Cap w/insignia - Westin Safari Bar - Off Road Lamps - Reese Class III/IV Hitch w/Hoppy Wiring Kit - AVS Black Tailight Surrounds - Stock Foglights

Robowang is offline Old Post 10-19-2006 05:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robowang Visit Robowang's homepage! Find more posts by Robowang Add Robowang to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob M
3rd Gear

After one year of service and around 8K miles, I am very impressed with the all-around value and performance of the Destination A/Ts.

These tires provide a superior ride and are much quieter than the OEM Firestone Wilderness HTs that came on early Escapes.

I just rotated my tires and they are wearing evenly and should last at least 50K miles.

These tires work great with our V6 XLT 4wd. Last winter we had 18" of snow and I took the Escape out and drove it on a few unplowed streets and didn't get stuck or even feel like I was losing traction. A highway tire would not have performed as well.

The only negative - I've noticed approximately a 1 mpg decrease in highway mpg with the A/Ts. So if the vast majority of your driving is on the highway, the LEs would be a better choice.

Rob M is offline Old Post 10-19-2006 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob M Find more posts by Rob M Add Rob M to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
New Member!

I went with the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country.

They have about 100 miles on them so far and are very smooth riding tire. They do well in the rain. I will just have to wait for the snow to come.

I got them for $420 installed.

Kevin

biker is offline Old Post 10-23-2006 04:11 AM
biker
New Member!

I have 225/70/15 on my 02 XLS V6 4WD.

The tire looks better on the vehicle than it does in the pic above.

biker is offline Old Post 10-23-2006 02:24 PM
biker
New Member!

I think I have these set at 34psi right now. I would never put only 30 psi in a tire. A little problem with Firestone and the Explorer comes to mind...

Kevin

biker is offline Old Post 10-23-2006 04:26 PM
Squishy
Platinum Overdrive

My tires are at 28 psi

...but that's because they're 235/75s

"Speak softly and carry a pool stick."

Squishy is offline Old Post 10-24-2006 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squishy Find more posts by Squishy Add Squishy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote