Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > How to flush power steering fluid?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SPlee
1st Gear

How to flush power steering fluid?

My power steering fluid is brownish and has some black deposit on the bottom of the reservoir. I read from other thread that I can flush it by unplug the return line first.

Someone said that the one connected to the bottom of the reservoir is the return line, is this right? If I unplug it, will all the fluid in the reservoir come out??

Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SPlee is offline Old Post 04-29-2007 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SPlee Find more posts by SPlee Add SPlee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squishy
Platinum Overdrive

That return line will pump fluid out at a VERY high pressure. You really don't want to mess with it if you don't know what you're doing (not to offend you or anything...just sayin'). A safer way to do it is to lift the two front wheels, then replace the reservoir fluid and turn lock to lock (without the car running) in between reservoir replacements. Just keep replacing until the fluid turns red, and from then on just replace the reservoir fluid every other oil change.

"Speak softly and carry a pool stick."

Squishy is offline Old Post 04-30-2007 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squishy Find more posts by Squishy Add Squishy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPlee
1st Gear

Thanks for your advice, Squishy. So when I siphon the old fluid out of the reservoir, is there anything I should be careful to prevent to introduce any air in the system?

SPlee is offline Old Post 04-30-2007 08:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SPlee Find more posts by SPlee Add SPlee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squishy
Platinum Overdrive

No, not really. As long as you don't work the steering while the reservoir is empty, you'll be fine.

And about lifting the two wheels, I was actually confusing two strategies. Another way to do it is to disconnect the return line and turn lock-to-lock with the engine off, which purges fluid at a much lower and manageable pressure. It's not really necessary though, and a bit of a hassle to get a helper and to extend the hose into your drain pan, etc. You can do the reservoir refill with the engine on for power assist, and two quarts should be enough for a thorough exchange.

Squishy is offline Old Post 04-30-2007 08:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squishy Find more posts by Squishy Add Squishy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Jim
Platinum Overdrive

That's not a problem. It is self bleeding.

The above method is probably the best but an alternative is to siphon as much fluid as you can out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and refill. Drive the car a few days and repeat. Repeat as much as needed until the fluid is as clean as the new stuff.

By the way, this is an excellent place for Mercon V or even Mobil 1 ATF. A synthetic blend (Mercon V) or a full synthetic (Mobil 1) will hold up to heat better as well as be more responsive in really cold weather.

Big Jim is offline Old Post 04-30-2007 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Jim Find more posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
miller542
New Member!

quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim

By the way, this is an excellent place for Mercon V or even Mobil 1 ATF. A synthetic blend (Mercon V) or a full synthetic (Mobil 1) will hold up to heat better as well as be more responsive in really cold weather.

Indeed. I use Mobil1 ATF in both my cars steering systems.

My method of flushing is similar to others, but different. I disconnect the return line AND the serpentine belt. Then I spin the power steering pump pulley by hand. This spits out the old fluid while I dump the new stuff in. Keep spinning and dumping until what comes out looks as good as it goes in, around 2qts. Much less messy than having the car running and doesn't require a helper.

miller542 is offline Old Post 05-02-2007 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for miller542 Find more posts by miller542 Add miller542 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAMonti
2nd Gear

How do you get the old fluid out of the reservoir???

2004 Red 3.0
American Racing AR-95 Estrella
Firestone Destination A/T 235/70R16
Borla SS Exhaust
H&R Lift
KYB Struts & Shocks
SCT Programmer
Draw Tight Hitch
Custom Box Trailer
Alpine Tunes & Video
XM Radio
Hella 500 w/Custom Brackets

TAMonti is offline Old Post 06-12-2007 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAMonti Find more posts by TAMonti Add TAMonti to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TAMonti
2nd Gear

Nevermind. I missed the turkey baister reference.

2004 Red 3.0
American Racing AR-95 Estrella
Firestone Destination A/T 235/70R16
Borla SS Exhaust
H&R Lift
KYB Struts & Shocks
SCT Programmer
Draw Tight Hitch
Custom Box Trailer
Alpine Tunes & Video
XM Radio
Hella 500 w/Custom Brackets

TAMonti is offline Old Post 06-12-2007 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TAMonti Find more posts by TAMonti Add TAMonti to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpd67
4th Gear

Is this procedure even necessary? I don't think I've ever had power steering fluid flushed or replaced in the 4 different vehicles I've owned over the years.

bpd67 is offline Old Post 06-12-2007 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpd67 Find more posts by bpd67 Add bpd67 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squishy
Platinum Overdrive

The fluid does eventually get dirty, and could lead to a PS pump failure.

That being said, our Pontiac van just got its first PS fluid change in 11 years and 275,000 km. The PS was still very well behaved, no whines or anything; I just had some leftover ATF and thought, what the hey.

Squishy is offline Old Post 06-12-2007 10:22 PM
lietzke
[shift] Neutral!

I did this to my wife's 2002 Escape V6 today. The supply hose is the larger one that connects to the side of the reservoir. The return hose is the smaller one that connects to the bottom of the reservoir. In my case, the supply hose was cracking at the bend where it attaches to the power steering pump, so I replaced it. It cost $21 from the Ford dealership.

Flushing the system was not difficult. I unfastened the coolant reservoir and moved it out of the way (with all hoses still attached) to make access easier. Then I unfastened the power steering reservoir and turned it on its side so that I could remove the return line without making a huge mess. Then I plugged the hole in the bottom of the reservoir and ran the disconnected return line into a 1-quart oil jug to collect the fluid coming out of it. To purge the system, I tried doing what another poster said and disconnected the accessory drive belt to turn the pump by hand, but I found this to be way too slow. So I removed the fuel pump relay and had my wife run the starter (the car would not start) and flushed out the old fluid that way. While I had her cranking the starter, I also had her turn the steering wheel from full-lock left to full-lock right and this flushed out some more dirty fluid. I did have to stop a couple of times during all of this to refill the reservoir with new fluid.

Overall this was not a very difficult job, especially if you don't have to replace the supply hose like I did. The dealer wanted $95 to do a power-steering fluid flush, which I think is way over-priced.

BTW I used Mobil-1 ATF, $6.50/quart from Autozone. I ended up using almost 2 quarts to do a complete flush.

lietzke is offline Old Post 06-16-2007 10:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lietzke Find more posts by lietzke Add lietzke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prowler
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by lietzke
Overall this was not a very difficult job, especially if you don't have to replace the supply hose like I did.

you don't post often enough.

prowler is offline Old Post 06-16-2007 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for prowler Find more posts by prowler Add prowler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lietzke
[shift] Neutral!

quote:
Originally posted by prowler
you don't post often enough.

LOL - I'll try to post again in a couple weeks when I do an antifreeze change. The first one I did was at 35k (3 years ago) and now the car has 81k so it is overdue. The Ford dealer mentioned it today during their "courtesy check" while the car was there for the ABS recall. The fluid still looks bright green which is why I haven't bothered to change it yet, but the dealer said they tested it and the test results indicated that it was past due. So maybe I'll get around to chenging it in the next couple weeks. Dealer wants $95 to do it - no thanks.

They also mentioned the murky power steering fluid which is what prompted me to do that today. Dealer wanted $95 to do this also (not including the hose) - no thanks.

The last thing the dealer wanted to do was to adjust the rear brakes. Somehow they determined that the front brakes are doing most/all the stopping and that the rear brakes were not. I guess there is an adjustment for it? Dealer wanted $65 to do it - no thanks. So I am looking through E-C to try to find out what to do. I am still having a hard time with the search function here so please let me know if you have any good links. Thanks!

lietzke is offline Old Post 06-17-2007 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lietzke Find more posts by lietzke Add lietzke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prowler
Hyperdrive

quote:
Originally posted by lietzke
LOL - I'll try to post again in a couple weeks when I do an antifreeze change.

Well then, hurry up and change it and do your usual post - MINE IS DUE LATER THIS YEAR!

prowler is offline Old Post 06-17-2007 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for prowler Find more posts by prowler Add prowler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote