Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Engine and Transmission > Cleaning A Sticky Throttle... Pictures Included
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tribby030144
Platinum Member

Cleaning A Sticky Throttle... Pictures Included

Hello all,
I was reading the threads on how to clean the TB so I thought i'd give it a go. Idle is much smoother now. Thanks prowlie
I took some pictures to show anyone who was wondering where the throttle body is.

quote:
Originally posted by prowler

Here's what I did, an 80% solution, but so simple and fast (about 15 minutes) that I intend to do it each Spring as part of the air filter check. The hardest part is being careful not to drop the 3 recessed nuts that hold the engine cover in place.

Removed the obvious:
air filter and housing (unplug wire, leave MAF in housing)
rubber tube (approx. 4 inch diameter) to throttle body
front engine cover - (to open the throttle with left hand while cleaning with right) - 3 easy nuts

Opened throttle about a 1/16"
Sprayed quickly around butterfly edges - about 1 second
opened full throttle and used a microfiber towel wrapped around finger to clean

repeated, but used fingers to "massage" the ridge of gunk - you can feel as it dissolves away.

I got 90 percent off the bottom, 80 percent around the top. Wasn't too fussy near the shaft since leverage is on your side.

Also cleaned the gunk off the throttle cable

Hope this helps some people out

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tribby030144 is offline Old Post 09-21-2007 04:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tribby030144 Visit Tribby030144's homepage! Find more posts by Tribby030144 Add Tribby030144 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prowler
Hyperdrive

prowlie illustrated - THANKS, t03!!!

prowler is offline Old Post 09-21-2007 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for prowler Find more posts by prowler Add prowler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squishy
Platinum Overdrive

That throttle body didn't look too bad; mine was way worse before it started to stick. Good job on the pictures; I'll add it to that how-to thread.

"Speak softly and carry a pool stick."

Squishy is offline Old Post 09-21-2007 06:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squishy Find more posts by Squishy Add Squishy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CRUI5N
2nd Gear

nice one mate. i pulled my TB off as it was only two bolts and 30 seconds to do. really easy to give it a good clean inside and out this way.

CRUI5N is offline Old Post 09-24-2007 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CRUI5N Find more posts by CRUI5N Add CRUI5N to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobkat
3rd Gear

Thanks for that information Tribby, well done.

2006 XLT, 3.0 V6 4WD
Titanium Metallic Green

My Modifications:
Steelers License Plate frame
Cargo air filter
All weather floor mats
Door edge gaurds
DrawTite class III Hitch
Ford Escape Bra
One of those fuzzy steering wheel cover things

bobkat is offline Old Post 09-24-2007 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobkat Visit bobkat's homepage! Find more posts by bobkat Add bobkat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mishmish
New Member!

Sorry, but i have a bit of a stupid question.
I got as far as your photos, looking straight into a SHUT butterfly valve in the throttle body. I was able to push mine open a bit with my finger, but encountered a lot of resistence.
How to you manage to get yours 100% open? Also spraying IN towards the engine? Does the carbon etc from the spray foul the upper cylinder head area? Where does the gunk go?

mishmish is offline Old Post 02-17-2009 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mishmish Find more posts by mishmish Add mishmish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RoadKingTrib
Platinum Overdrive

quote:
Originally posted by mishmish
Sorry, but i have a bit of a stupid question.
I got as far as your photos, looking straight into a SHUT butterfly valve in the throttle body. I was able to push mine open a bit with my finger, but encountered a lot of resistence.
How to you manage to get yours 100% open? Also spraying IN towards the engine? Does the carbon etc from the spray foul the upper cylinder head area? Where does the gunk go?

It gets burned up and/or expelled with the first turn of the motor.

RoadKingTrib is offline Old Post 02-17-2009 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RoadKingTrib Find more posts by RoadKingTrib Add RoadKingTrib to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mishmish
New Member!

Yup. gotcha!

Had another attempt today, got throttle butterfly valve open all the way and gave it a spray!.

The car had trouble starting at first but seemed to run ok after that.

The reason i attempted another clean today was that coming home this afternoon the tacho was going up and down like a yo-yo, and the car splattering and missing.

I think this possibly was due to me washing the engine bay the other day and water getting into the coil pack/s.

Hope all is well tomorrow!

Thanks for a good thread.

mishmish is offline Old Post 02-18-2009 12:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mishmish Find more posts by mishmish Add mishmish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4x2
Platinum Member

Tribby,

Nice pics!

Sometimes I just spray my TB and other times I'll remove it and give it a thorough cleaning to get it spotless.

NOTE: For those of you who opt to remove it - a little silicone grease on the TB gasket is a good idea so it doesn't tear the next time your remove the TB. If it does tear you'll likely have a vacuum leak that'll be tough to diagnose - it happened to a member here.

- Michelin LTX M/S
- Raybestos A.T. pads & A.T. rotors
- Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks & Struts
- Mercon drain 'n fill every 10K

4x2 is offline Old Post 02-19-2009 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 4x2 Find more posts by 4x2 Add 4x2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote