Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Engine and Transmission > oil leak but from where??
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluangelford
1st Gear

oil leak but from where??

Ok , at first i thought it was the front crank seal based on what others had said and the general location of the leak. I went under the escape today, pull the plastic cover off and i see oil everywhere, but i can not find the source. The problem is that i think the oil has hit the belt and it has slung it all over the place. I see wet reside all over the front of the engine, but the front crank seal looks dry, but there is oil along the edges of the oil pan, the belt tensioner is almost soaked, and i see oil on the back side of the engine back side i mean the side near the firewall. I looked back there and the best i can see is some wetness on the valve pan and around the spark plug whole and from there down there is wetness. what worries me is that i also see wetness at the ports to the power stering pump but the level there has not gone down. So i will be taking the escape in on tuesday but i am worried as to what they will tell me and want to charge me!!! ugggg....... any suggestions as to what it could be???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bluangelford is offline Old Post 01-18-2009 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluangelford Find more posts by bluangelford Add bluangelford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Not seeing it in person, relying on your descriptions, my first inclination would be the oil pan gasket. But it could be the valve cover(s). Look down around the filter and see if maybe it wasn't tightened well on your last oil change, if you've had that done fairly recently.
Other than that, good luck at the dealership.

operator is offline Old Post 01-19-2009 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for operator Find more posts by operator Add operator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluangelford
1st Gear

the front valve pan seal is ok...i am not sure about the back one, which is one of theones i am worried about...the dealer rep thought it might be the oil pan also but i am not sure...if it was it would have to be the very front part of the oil pan near the front pullies...but i am also seeing oil on brackets for the alternator and above that...so we will see....

bluangelford is offline Old Post 01-19-2009 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluangelford Find more posts by bluangelford Add bluangelford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

You have to remember, when the cooling fan(s) come on, that oil is going to go anywhere and everywhere; that's what sometimes makes it hard to pinpoint the exact location.

operator is offline Old Post 01-19-2009 04:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for operator Find more posts by operator Add operator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RoadKingTrib
Platinum Overdrive

You need to spray the underside with brake cleaner and drive about 10 minutes. You will see the leak then, or at least the trail of oil will be clear.

RoadKingTrib is offline Old Post 01-19-2009 04:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RoadKingTrib Find more posts by RoadKingTrib Add RoadKingTrib to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DRM
Platinum Overdrive

http://www.autobarn.net/fluorleakdet1.html

This stuff is chaep and fast. Clean your engine pretty good. Dump in a bottle. Drive around and chack with a black light. If you can't see it drive or let it idle some more. It will look like the Hulk is trying to get out of your engine.

DRM is offline Old Post 01-19-2009 04:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DRM Find more posts by DRM Add DRM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluangelford
1st Gear

well as i sit here at the dealership, they believe that it is the oil pan seal that is leaking and throwing oil all over everything. They quoted me that it will be between 230-300 to replace the seal plus labor and an oil change!!! uggg...i hope that this is the end of repairs for a little while...

bluangelford is offline Old Post 01-20-2009 09:25 PM
Charlemagne
New Member!

What year Escape? My 2003 was leaking oil and it looked like what you describe. I could not figure out where it was coming from. Leaked only a little but it was everywhere. I got an oil change at a new place and it stopped. Loose or wrong size filter? The pan was of course where the oil showed the most.

Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds
Drilled Slotted Disks, Akebono Ceramic Pads
G-Stop 4 Line Stainless Steel Braided Metal Brake-Lines
Chrome Rear Liftgate Handle
Mazda Spoiler (Yeah a Mazda Spoiler fits perfectly and IMHO looks much better)
Rectangular Chrome Exhaust Extension

Be nice to me its my first post.

Charlemagne is offline Old Post 01-21-2009 05:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Charlemagne Find more posts by Charlemagne Add Charlemagne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluangelford
1st Gear

We have a 2004 escape with the 3.0L v6, with about 74-75K on it. I know it was not the filter or the plug b/c i do the oil changes. It is now almost a week after they fixed it and i guess they were right and it was the oil pan gasket. I just hope it holds.

bluangelford is offline Old Post 01-25-2009 05:04 AM
danno
Platinum Member

How much did it end up costing you?
Parts and labour details would be great.

Black splash guards
OEM Bug Deflector
Blizzak DMZ-02 Winter Duelers on steel rims
Krown rust prevention

danno is offline Old Post 01-26-2009 07:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danno Find more posts by danno Add danno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluangelford
1st Gear

well i am fumming right now. As far that the current job they did it cost 271 for the oil pan seal (about 60 bucks) 6 quarts of oil and filter(5.50), plus labor and all the other stuff for harardous waste removal and taxes. Now for the fumming part!!! the stupid thing is leaking oil again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same location. When i went in there i originally thought it was the crank seal, which before i delivered it i determined it was not and saw the rear valve pan seal very wet especially around the spark plug (#4?) and suggested they look there first. Well tonight we went down route 30 to rockvale and at the red light i felt the escape have a "stumble" at idle and then i began to smell that wonderful smell of oil burning once again!! now this was maybe the second time i drove it since we got it repaired. I can not beleive that a second oil seal has blown in 1 week. Last friday i looked under there to check and did not see anything so between friday and today it began to leak heavy all over again, so i have to call the dealership again and now chew them out and make them repair it for free!!! uggggg......

bluangelford is offline Old Post 01-28-2009 04:21 AM
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Clogged PCV valve, maybe? Pressure building up inside, forcing weaker gaskets to blow. Don't know if that's a problem with Duratec's, but it was with older engines.

operator is offline Old Post 01-28-2009 04:44 AM
sbkim
Platinum Member

Quick question. I also have slight leak around the oil pan area. Dealer is speculating that I will need to replace the entire oil pan as opposed to doing the gasket alone.

They claim that our alum oil pans are porus and can cause leaks?!?!

Any thoughts?

sbkim is offline Old Post 03-11-2009 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sbkim Find more posts by sbkim Add sbkim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bklamb59
New Member!

This is obviously a real big deal. I just had my oil pan gasket replaced as well. The mechanics informed me that this was a problem with these vehicles. 2003 XLT with the V-6, 49,000 miles. I have also had problems with power steering seals.

bklamb59 is offline Old Post 03-31-2009 08:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bklamb59 Find more posts by bklamb59 Add bklamb59 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote