Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > How to Replace Rear Axle Seal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Racer47
New Member!

Question How to Replace Rear Axle Seal

What does it take to replace the rear axle seals? I searched here and only found 2 bits of info. One is that you donít need to remove the rear cover. And the other is that someone paid a dealer $300 to do one side. Thatís roughly 2.5 hrs worth of flat rate time. Seems like a lot of work to me. Do the brake shoes need to come off? Will the axle slip out through the backing plate? Do any suspension parts need to be removed to get the axle out?

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to know what Iím getting into a little better before I start ripping into it. Itís a 2002 with 120k miles. And Iím getting tired of smelling gear lube and washing it off my trailer and the back of the Escape. Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Racer47 is offline Old Post 08-04-2009 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Racer47 Find more posts by Racer47 Add Racer47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
Platinum Member

You do need to remove the spring, and it seems you need 3 special tools, one for the seal removal, one to remove the halfshaft through the backing plate, and another to pry the halfshaft from the differential.

I can e-mail you pictures from the Ford manual if you want them.

Black splash guards
OEM Bug Deflector
Blizzak DMZ-02 Winter Duelers on steel rims
Krown rust prevention

danno is offline Old Post 08-06-2009 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danno Find more posts by danno Add danno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Racer47
New Member!

Thanks for the reply. I can normally manage without the special tools, although they do make the job easier. But I sure could use the Ford manual pages. Please send them to my E-C user name at nconnect.net

thanks

Racer47 is offline Old Post 08-07-2009 07:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Racer47 Find more posts by Racer47 Add Racer47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danno
Platinum Member

Message sent

Black splash guards
OEM Bug Deflector
Blizzak DMZ-02 Winter Duelers on steel rims
Krown rust prevention

danno is offline Old Post 08-10-2009 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danno Find more posts by danno Add danno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Racer47
New Member!

Thanks a lot for the manual pics. It does look like a lot of work.

Racer47 is offline Old Post 08-11-2009 06:32 AM
mattcow
1st Gear

I replaced mine recently and it was somewhat strait forward.
In order to replace the rear axle shaft you must remove the CV shaft which means;
Wheel, axle/CV shaft nut, Trailing Arm-to-Body mount bolt*, lower shock mount bolt and I think one control arm have to be removed.

Obviously the old seal is garbage so use anything to remove it, just donít damage the inner surface of the rear end. I tapped in the new seal with a hammer and an old bearing that was the right diameter.

*This little star should be huge because the Trailing Arm-to-Body mount bolt can be hard to get off. See the write-up here http://www.escape-central.com/1foru...&threadid=33838
When I was struggling with this little bolt I may just have paid the $300.

Good luck,
Matt

mattcow is offline Old Post 08-12-2009 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattcow Find more posts by mattcow Add mattcow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Racer47
New Member!

Thanks for the tips mattcow. The more I look at it, the less I feel like doing it. I'm just going to put it off for now.

Racer47 is offline Old Post 08-18-2009 06:26 AM
BWard
New Member!

I too have to do this procedure on my wifes 03 Escape, I would Love to see some pics on this procedure.
Thanks for the how to write up, I will print it out and go to work.

BWard is offline Old Post 04-24-2012 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BWard Visit BWard's homepage! Find more posts by BWard Add BWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote