Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Gas Pedal gets stuck
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Robert1960
New Member!

Question 2007 Escape Gas Pedal gets stuck

My 2007 Ford XLS Escape gas pedal gets stuck in warm or cold weather. This has been going on for 6 months and dealer has told me I need a Throttle Body cleaning and my vehicle has only 24,000 miles on it. Dealer wants 80.00 for cleaning this. I've never had a Throttle cleaning before on any of my new ford vehicles. Could this be a factory problem?

Thanks, Robert

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert1960 is offline Old Post 01-09-2010 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert1960 Find more posts by Robert1960 Add Robert1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheFixer253
2nd Gear

I don't know how much mechanical experience you have, but cleaning the throttle body is about as difficult as changing the air filter. You can pay $80 if you want (which sounds fairly reasonable for the base charge and time) or you can do it yourself for about $5 with a can of throttle body cleaner (get the teflon-coating safe brand) and a clean shop rag.
If you want to do it yourself, search for throttle body on this site and you will find pics and instructions.

What you are describing has happened to many others here. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

TheFixer253 is offline Old Post 01-09-2010 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheFixer253 Find more posts by TheFixer253 Add TheFixer253 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert1960
New Member!

I've changed two transmissions one in a 1979 thunderbird and one in a 1971 oldsmobile and changed a engine at one time in 1978 thunderbird. So I should be able to clean a carb. The Ford dealer made out to be very hard like always. I will do what you said about cleaning with teflon-coating safe brand and try this myself before giving the dealer the 80.00 dollars.

Thanks, Robert

Robert1960 is offline Old Post 01-09-2010 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert1960 Find more posts by Robert1960 Add Robert1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leviathan
Platinum Member

Re: 2007 Escape Gas Pedal gets stuck

quote:
Originally posted by Robert1960
My 2007 Ford XLS Escape gas pedal gets stuck in warm or cold weather. This has been going on for 6 months and dealer has told me I need a Throttle Body cleaning and my vehicle has only 24,000 miles on it. Dealer wants 80.00 for cleaning this. I've never had a Throttle cleaning before on any of my new ford vehicles. Could this be a factory problem?

I just had this done @ 32,000Kms - $65 all taxes in. I don't see this as a problem but just part of normal maintenance.

Leviathan is offline Old Post 01-09-2010 06:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leviathan Find more posts by Leviathan Add Leviathan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COPPERBLAZE
1st Gear

A oil vapor catch can is the permanent solution. This is a common problem of all cars that grab clean PCV air from the throttle intake. When the engine stops oil mist meanders back into the intake tract and throttle body where it condensates and gums up the throttle.

A catch can works like an air dryer on an compressor outlet, a partition in the drier causes the oil particles to "drop out" of the air and settle in the bottom of the can where it can be easily drained. This is a common problem with the C-5 Corvette. I have yet to install a catch can on the Escape or 'Vette because I haven't experienced problems, call me lucky I guess!

John

COPPERBLAZE is offline Old Post 01-09-2010 01:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for COPPERBLAZE Find more posts by COPPERBLAZE Add COPPERBLAZE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert1960
New Member!

Ford E-150 Vans must not have this same set-up because my van is 12 years old with only 72,000 miles and I have never had this problem.

Thanks Robert

Robert1960 is offline Old Post 01-10-2010 02:50 AM
Big Jim
Platinum Overdrive

O yes they do. You may not have had the problem, but it was very common when ported fuel injection was new on both E-150 and F-150 trucks.

Even if you are not experiencing a problem you will be amazed at how much nicer an engine runs after cleaning the throttle body.

By the way, there are three fairly common things that make the throttle stick on an Escape. A dirty throttle body. A worn throttle body. A sticky gas pedal to throttle cable connection. I would start by cleaning the throttle body since it is the most common and really should be done occasionally (in my opinion) as maintenance. If cleaning doesn't solve the problem, post again and we can tell you how to pin it down.

When I clean the throttle body, I use an old worn soft toothbrush. Works great for me.

Big Jim is offline Old Post 01-10-2010 05:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Jim Find more posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ESCAPEMAX
Shifting Up To
Another Milestone !!!
Congrats on 3500 !!!

And use a cleaner that is Safe for the coating on the T-Body.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GS
2010 Yamaha Majesty

ESCAPEMAX is offline Old Post 01-10-2010 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ESCAPEMAX Find more posts by ESCAPEMAX Add ESCAPEMAX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DA59a
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert1960
Ford E-150 Vans must not have this same set-up because my van is 12 years old with only 72,000 miles and I have never had this problem.

Thanks Robert

This was a very common problem with Fords - check with Mustang, F150, or Explorer forums and you will see this. My '97 Explorer was nice and crusty the first time I cleaned it. The "catch can" did work nice on the 4.0.
With the Duratec - the PCV is much lower in the intake and by design, does not have this issue as do other models. The 2 times I went to clean mine (3.0), the TB did not really need cleaning, but since I was there, I did anyway.

Why yours is this way with 24K on it, I would wonder what the cause is...

2005 Escape Limited 3.0 AWD Black/Black leather - 2nd Owner ................... 1992 FXRS-Conv. Low Rider - 2nd Owner
Mod's to date:
Nokya Arctic Yellow H10 Fog lights
Osram Night Breaker H7 High beams
Lund Windjammer Spoiler (roof racks removed)
Ford Wireless Remote Keypad on drivers door
Ford Edge 18in. "take-offs" with Yokohama Avid EnVigor 255/55R18 LRR tires
Drilled/Slotted/Zinc plated rotors w/ceramic pads all 4 corners
Amsoil Synthetic Fluids all around (except Zerex G-05 coolant)
Permacool #10678 external Transmission filter with Filtermag
Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote "Bypass" Filter system (with Filtermag), using ASM 0W-20 Synthetic
Magnefine in-line filter on Power Steering return line
Raybestos Stabilizer links
KYB shocks and struts
AFE Air Intake #51-10031 with Pro Dry S filter
XCal2 - programmed by Torrie (87 Econ)
Magnaflow #16676 Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust

BINGO... The original Social Networking site.

Do not stop playing because you're old; you grow old because you stop playing

DA59a is offline Old Post 01-11-2010 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DA59a Find more posts by DA59a Add DA59a to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EscapingBob
3rd Gear

How about cleaning the throttle cable where the cable comes out of its housing near the TB? Can this be cleaned? If so, how?

Westin Bull Bar, Aux Fog Lights, Yakima Load Warrior Basket (lowered closer to roof) with Custom Antenna Mounts, Window Vents, Bugflector, Custom Lower Grill, Cabin Air Filter, Class III Hitch, Pioneer DEH-P5000UB with iPod/USB connection and JVC MP3 CD Changer, ICOM IC-208H (2M/440 Ant on Rack), Cobra CB (Whip & Spring on Rack)

EscapingBob is offline Old Post 01-12-2010 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EscapingBob Find more posts by EscapingBob Add EscapingBob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COPPERBLAZE
1st Gear

Virginia went down to 8 degrees yesterday morning, my throttle had a "catch" to it. It's 26 today, the car will be fine. Mine only does it in bitter weather, my car also is a 2.3 4 cyl.

John

COPPERBLAZE is offline Old Post 01-12-2010 01:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for COPPERBLAZE Find more posts by COPPERBLAZE Add COPPERBLAZE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote