Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Engine and Transmission > STP Oil Treatment
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
joelamp
New Member!

STP Oil Treatment

Anybody using STP in their oil?

With past vehicles, I have been in the habit of using STP Oil Treatment once I get past 75,000 miles. My Tribute is the first vehicle I've owned that has used 5W20 oil and I just turned 75,000 miles.

Considering that STP is an oil thickener, among other things, would that defeat the purpose of using the 5W20 - would I be better off using a high mileage oil like Pennzoil High Mileage, etc?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joelamp is offline Old Post 07-15-2010 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joelamp Find more posts by joelamp Add joelamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

Re: STP Oil Treatment

quote:
Originally posted by joelamp
Anybody using STP in their oil?

With past vehicles, I have been in the habit of using STP Oil Treatment once I get past 75,000 miles. My Tribute is the first vehicle I've owned that has used 5W20 oil and I just turned 75,000 miles.

Considering that STP is an oil thickener, among other things, would that defeat the purpose of using the 5W20 - would I be better off using a high mileage oil like Pennzoil High Mileage, etc?

75K isn't really high mileage any more, if the vehicle has been maintained properly from day one.

I tried STP once (from an old habit also) and watched my MPG's drop dramatically. Changed the oil, and it went back up to where it should be. I have stayed away from any of the "high mileage" products just because of the additives. IMHAWO, a good quality 5W20 will work just fine. I use Valvoline DuraBlend in mine, and change it out every 3K miles. I've had no problems with it yet (KOW), and have 70K on it now.

operator is offline Old Post 07-15-2010 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for operator Find more posts by operator Add operator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LX302
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

STP and all oil additives are a waste of money. aka "snake oils". I've used many of them in the past and there was no real benefit except a lighter wallet. Just use the 5W20 grade oil of your choice.

'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD 94,000 miles
and still on the road.

LX302 is offline Old Post 07-16-2010 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LX302 Find more posts by LX302 Add LX302 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpd67
4th Gear

I switched to synthetic at 75K and have been happy. 108,000 and climbing.

bpd67 is offline Old Post 07-16-2010 04:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bpd67 Find more posts by bpd67 Add bpd67 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TributeBlue
2nd Gear

Years ago we used it for assembly lube when rebuilding engines. It stuck around for a long time. About all it did was increase viscosity when added to motor oil.

TributeBlue is offline Old Post 07-16-2010 06:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TributeBlue Find more posts by TributeBlue Add TributeBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RoadKingTrib
Platinum Overdrive

quote:
Originally posted by TributeBlue
Years ago we used it for assembly lube when rebuilding engines. It stuck around for a long time. About all it did was increase viscosity when added to motor oil.

+1

Really holds those bearing shells in place during assembly!

RoadKingTrib is offline Old Post 07-16-2010 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RoadKingTrib Find more posts by RoadKingTrib Add RoadKingTrib to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
teekay
Platinum Member

In the 70's working for a first class automotive machine shop in So Cal, I have seen so many pre mature failures due to STP and paraffin based oils like Penzoil

The build up of gunk would scare you!

teekay is offline Old Post 07-17-2010 10:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for teekay Find more posts by teekay Add teekay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DA59a
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingTrib
+1

Really holds those bearing shells in place during assembly!

+2!

With todays "tight" built engines, these additives are not necessary.
Unless you have an old engine with wear or oil leak problems & you're trying to "bandaid" an issue, I wouldn't use it.

2005 Escape Limited 3.0 AWD Black/Black leather - 2nd Owner ................... 1992 FXRS-Conv. Low Rider - 2nd Owner
Mod's to date:
Nokya Arctic Yellow H10 Fog lights
Osram Night Breaker H7 High beams
Lund Windjammer Spoiler (roof racks removed)
Ford Wireless Remote Keypad on drivers door
Ford Edge 18in. "take-offs" with Yokohama Avid EnVigor 255/55R18 LRR tires
Drilled/Slotted/Zinc plated rotors w/ceramic pads all 4 corners
Amsoil Synthetic Fluids all around (except Zerex G-05 coolant)
Permacool #10678 external Transmission filter with Filtermag
Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote "Bypass" Filter system (with Filtermag), using ASM 0W-20 Synthetic
Magnefine in-line filter on Power Steering return line
Raybestos Stabilizer links
KYB shocks and struts
AFE Air Intake #51-10031 with Pro Dry S filter
XCal2 - programmed by Torrie (87 Econ)
Magnaflow #16676 Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust

BINGO... The original Social Networking site.

Do not stop playing because you're old; you grow old because you stop playing

DA59a is offline Old Post 07-19-2010 04:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DA59a Find more posts by DA59a Add DA59a to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Platinum Member

I would stick with the recommended 5w20 - used it since new - no problems - current mileage 118,234 kms -oil change every 5,000 km.

091106 is offline Old Post 07-20-2010 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 091106 Find more posts by 091106 Add 091106 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote