Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > Power Steering Fluid - Mercon questions revisited
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thereuare
Neutral

Power Steering Fluid - Mercon questions revisited

Power steering is making a hum when turning and the fluid is low.

I know that Ford no longer makes 'Mercon' but am confused as to what i should be using right now.

Manual states to use Mercon and NOT Mercon V... but apparently Ford reformulated Mercon V to now work where Mercon applications are called for?

Here are my options (unless others can suggest others):
Sears- has a fluid labeled "For when Mercon or Dextron III is called for. It's called "Spectrum" and i'm assuming it may be Sear's private label fluid. Don't necessarily trust Sears too much so didn't buy any

Motorcraft- go to the Ford Dealership and buy the 'current' Mercon V and use that (even though manual states not to)

Other- go to general merchandise store (Walmart??) and buy some generic Mercon V fluid.

Please advise and/or state what others are using.

Are there any recommended mail order places for OEM Ford parts? (i know they existed for the Saab i used to own)

Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thereuare is offline Old Post 02-12-2012 11:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thereuare Find more posts by thereuare Add thereuare to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greyboy
Managing Editor

You are sweating way to much.

If you want a fluid that will do the job perfectly fine, pick up ANY of the brands of Dex/Merc.

If you feel better using a syn. blend, pick up ANY of the brands of Mercon V. (most of the gear heads here seem to like this option)

I personally used Castrol Dex/Merc in my '01 and the wife's '04 when freshening up the fluid and had 0 problems. The '04 is about to hit 100k and is working fine.

greyboy is offline Old Post 02-13-2012 04:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for greyboy Find more posts by greyboy Add greyboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SullyND
Managing Editor

Wasn't the move to V part of the TSB to fix the "squeaky" wheel?

2003 XLT Sport 4x4, Dark Shadow Grey Metallic, Mach Radio/Side Air Bags, OEM All Weather Molded Floor Mats. "No Boundaries" Receiver Cover, OEM Cabin Air Filter, OEM 4 Piece Stainless Sill Plates, Mont Blanc Vertical Bike Holder, Blitzsafe Auxilary Input Adapter, Weathertech Weatherflectors

Not much, but it's a start.

Earl: A purpose is a great thing to have, it gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
Randy: So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Earl: Exactly.
---- --- ---- --- ----

SullyND is offline Old Post 02-13-2012 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SullyND Find more posts by SullyND Add SullyND to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LX302
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

quote:
Originally posted by SullyND
Wasn't the move to V part of the TSB to fix the "squeaky" wheel?

Yes, I do remember that.

TSB 06-23-3

Released on: 12/06/06

SQUEAK - STEERING COLUMN / RACK

'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD 94,000 miles
and still on the road.

LX302 is offline Old Post 02-13-2012 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LX302 Find more posts by LX302 Add LX302 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
railroad
1st Gear

I have had better luck with dedicated synthetic power steering fluid.

railroad is offline Old Post 02-14-2012 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for railroad Find more posts by railroad Add railroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Jim
Platinum Overdrive

Mercon V works great for me as power steering fluid in my 03.

I made the mistake of using Mobil 1 synthetic that said it was suitable for use where Mercon was stipulated. The PS was noisy until I switched back to Mercon V.

Use Mercon V. It works. Last time I changed trans fluid, I used Walmart Mercon V.

Big Jim is offline Old Post 02-14-2012 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Jim Find more posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minnesotaart
4th Gear

I use Mercon V. No problems.

minnesotaart is offline Old Post 02-15-2012 05:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for minnesotaart Find more posts by minnesotaart Add minnesotaart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thereuare
Neutral

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for all the replies...

Ended up at WMT and bought SuperTech Mercon V, which on the label stated 'approved by Ford' (or something like that). Brought the reservoir up to the 'min' level... will check level in a few days and also get a report back from my wife if the hum has disappeared.

Thanks again.

thereuare is offline Old Post 02-16-2012 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thereuare Find more posts by thereuare Add thereuare to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hound
1st Gear

just used a turkey baster on mine and looked down inside with a flashlight......some pretty nasty stuff lurking in the bottum...hopefully a few changes like this will loosen that crap so i can get it out

hound is offline Old Post 03-17-2012 07:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hound Find more posts by hound Add hound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote