Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > Firestone Destination LE2
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnw
Neutral

Firestone Destination LE2

I've read some posts about tires here, particularly people interested in tire noise. Just in case onyone is interested, I just got a set of the new Firestone Destination, the LE2. THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY WHISPER QUIET! Even quieter than the Michelins I had 2 sets ago. By a lot.

I surprised myself with this tire choice because the Escape came with the Firestone Wilderness HT (as I recall; the ones RIGHT AFTER the big Firestone blowout scandal of 2001). I swore after those tires lasted 25K and hugged the road like Crisco on glass that I'd never buy Firestone again. But the recent reviews swayed my opinion, and after first considering the Kumho kr21 (based on price and reviews) I convinced myself to go the extra $65 and try Firestone again. I got a great deal at a local independent, $520 OTD.

Now I've only put a couple hundred miles or so on them, but WOW so far so good. My last tires, the BF Goodrich Long Trail TA touring (which also lasted about 3 yrs and a paltry 35K) were so loud inside the car, it sounded like I was dragging something.

Yeah I know the tires are new and that makes all the difference. But these tires are QUIET. And on the highway ramps the car just feels like it wants to hug the road.

We'll see in the snow. The Long Trails were never good I felt. Never like those Michelins. The reviews of these claim they are much improved in wet & snow.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnw is offline Old Post 11-15-2012 07:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnw Find more posts by johnw Add johnw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

I had Destination LE's (not 2's) on my '02 at about 25K miles, and they lasted me a little over 35K miles. They were very quiet for the first 5,000 miles or so, and then got a bit noisier.
I traded them in for a set of Cooper Discoverer LSX, and they also were quiet for about 5,000 miles. Neither brand was as loud as the original Continentals. They were noisy off the lot, and had no traction when wet. Mine's a 4x2 and my idea of "off road" is my driveway, so it's not like any of them were beat to death.

Hopefully the LE2's will stay quiet for a while longer than my LE's.

operator is offline Old Post 11-16-2012 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for operator Find more posts by operator Add operator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Platinum Member

I have the BFG Long Trails and agree they are loud - may consider the firestone next go around.

091106 is offline Old Post 11-16-2012 04:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 091106 Find more posts by 091106 Add 091106 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnw
Neutral

If they get a bit noisier, I can live with it. My understanding from talking to tire people is that uneven wear/suspension issues manifest in increased tire noise.

The LE2s are an all new compound. Time will tell.

johnw is offline Old Post 11-16-2012 05:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnw Find more posts by johnw Add johnw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
29MPG
1st Gear

I have an 06 XS with 15" aluminum wheels so I am limited in tire choices as 15's are going the way of the dinosaur.
My first two sets, the OEM Generals and the Coopers, wore out around 30K miles each. At 64K, I bought Michelin LTX M/S, which now have 131K, but I need to replace them within 5K to 10K, which is soon with my long commute. Michelin no longer makes a tire in a suitable size for my Escape so I am looking at the Destination LE2 vs. the BFG Long Trail Tour.
I think I will go with the Firestones.

The Michelins have been amazingly long lived, never a balance problem, but not the quietest.

29MPG is offline Old Post 11-16-2012 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 29MPG Find more posts by 29MPG Add 29MPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Platinum Member

guess people are not too happy with the BFG's

091106 is offline Old Post 11-17-2012 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 091106 Find more posts by 091106 Add 091106 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnw
Neutral

quote:
Originally posted by 091106
guess people are not too happy with the BFG's

Frankly mine sucked. Wore poorly, gripped badly and made lots of noise.

johnw is offline Old Post 11-20-2012 02:36 AM
johnw
Neutral

quote:
Originally posted by 29MPG
I have an 06 XS with 15" aluminum wheels so I am limited in tire choices as 15's are going the way of the dinosaur.
My first two sets, the OEM Generals and the Coopers, wore out around 30K miles each. At 64K, I bought Michelin LTX M/S, which now have 131K, but I need to replace them within 5K to 10K, which is soon with my long commute. Michelin no longer makes a tire in a suitable size for my Escape so I am looking at the Destination LE2 vs. the BFG Long Trail Tour.
I think I will go with the Firestones.

The Michelins have been amazingly long lived, never a balance problem, but not the quietest.

Time will tell, but so far I am impressed. If you can get them, do it.

johnw is offline Old Post 11-20-2012 02:37 AM
operator
500 Posts!! Welcome To
Platinum Membership !!!

quote:
Originally posted by johnw
If they get a bit noisier, I can live with it. My understanding from talking to tire people is that uneven wear/suspension issues manifest in increased tire noise.

The LE2s are an all new compound. Time will tell.

I have mine rotated every 5k miles, along with the free alignment and suspension check, so I think I can rule out uneven wear/suspension issues for the noise. I think a lot of it may be due to the fact that there isn't a lot of noise insulation in the Escapes (or at least not in mine), and all that noise is just passed right into the passenger compartment. My '00 Eclipse was like that, but my '89 Probe was as quiet as could be, even with badly worn tires on it.

operator is offline Old Post 11-20-2012 07:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for operator Find more posts by operator Add operator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnw
Neutral

FYI, almost 1 yr later, about 8K or 9K miles, not much by way of noise at all. Wearing nicely. I am happy. 10x quieter than those crappy BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs I got from Costco Tire Center.

After buying 2 or 3 sets of tires from Costco for different vehicles I'm now starting to give some credence to something a guy at a tire shop once told me. He was fixing our Toyota's Michelin that lost its bead over the RR tracks right in front of his shop - the tires Costco had just installed - he said that the tire mfrs make an inferior tire for Costco which allows them to price point like they do. I scoffed at the notion. But after seeing how poorly those BF Goodrich's performed, how fast they wore to slicks, and how poorly our Toyota's Michelins grip wet road I think he may be on to something.

Last edited by johnw on 10-08-2013 at 05:12 PM

johnw is offline Old Post 09-27-2013 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

My BFG LT TAs were very noisy to the point I cringed on long drives - road noise was evident I would turn up the volume but the noise persisted. The used Michelins I have are so quiet that I have the radio on low volume and I can still hear it. I hope they perform well in the winter..

091106 is offline Old Post 09-27-2013 05:38 AM
johnw
Neutral

quote:
Originally posted by 091106
My BFG LT TAs were very noisy to the point I cringed on long drives - road noise was evident I would turn up the volume but the noise persisted. The used Michelins I have are so quiet that I have the radio on low volume and I can still hear it. I hope they perform well in the winter..

Agreed, they were terribly noisy. Not impressed by them. before that I had quality Michelins which lasted 80K, whisper quiet and super hold to the road.

johnw is offline Old Post 10-08-2013 05:14 PM
LX302
Ooh La La! 1000 Posts !!
The Humpin' Hula Award

I have the Firestone LE's on my Tribute for 45K miles now and still have plenty of tread left, still quiter than the original Conti's. When it's time for tires, the LE2's are on the list.

'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD 94,000 miles
and still on the road.

LX302 is offline Old Post 10-16-2013 07:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LX302 Find more posts by LX302 Add LX302 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
29MPG
1st Gear

quote:
Originally posted by LX302
I have the Firestone LE's on my Tribute for 45K miles now and still have plenty of tread left, still quiter than the original Conti's. When it's time for tires, the LE2's are on the list.

Great to hear they are holding up. I put Destination LE2's on mine last winter and now have around 21K on them. I would buy them again, definitely the quietest tire I have had on the Escape.

29MPG is offline Old Post 10-16-2013 07:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 29MPG Find more posts by 29MPG Add 29MPG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote