Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > What weight oil do you use?
What weight oil do you use? (Squirrelly's Poll)
This poll is closed.
5w-20 synthetic 29 16.48%
5w-30 synthetic 45 25.57%
10w-20 synthetic 2 1.14%
5w-20 normal 58 32.95%
10w-30 synthetic 7 3.98%
5w-30 normal 27 15.34%
10w-20 normal 1 0.57%
10w-30 normal 7 3.98%
Total: 176 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Harro10
1st Gear

Which weight oil do you use?

I have used 5w20 weight oil for the first two oil changes but I am considering 5w30 for the warmer weather. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Have you used any other weight oils?

2004 Escape Limited 4x4, "Wet Okole" neoprene seat covers, Sunbrella cargo area cover, Yakima kayak carrier, Yakima ski rack,Ford mudguards, EGR "Carbon Fiber Look" hood deflector, Wheelskins steering wheel cover, Raybestos brake pads
(2002 wrecked)
2004 Limited

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Harro10 is offline Old Post 04-26-2002 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Harro10 Find more posts by Harro10 Add Harro10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R Bess
Uber Escapist!

I don't think 5w-30 will hurt anything except a fraction of an mpg.

R Bess is offline Old Post 04-26-2002 08:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for R Bess Find more posts by R Bess Add R Bess to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lemmy999
Platinum Member

I use 5-30 all year. IMHO it is much better for the engine than the 5-20.

lemmy999 is offline Old Post 04-26-2002 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lemmy999 Visit lemmy999's homepage! Find more posts by lemmy999 Add lemmy999 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcs1039
New Member!

I am using the 5-30 also.

rcs1039 is offline Old Post 04-27-2002 08:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rcs1039 Find more posts by rcs1039 Add rcs1039 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Fenner
Neutral

Ford recommends 5W-20 that's what I use!
They designed the engine they ought to know what works best in it.
Walmart sells Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic/blend for $1.70 Qt. Cheap price for a blend so why not use it?

IMHO,
I get a kick out of people trying to second guess the manufacturer of an engine and use something "they" think is better.

Brian Fenner is offline Old Post 04-27-2002 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Fenner Find more posts by Brian Fenner Add Brian Fenner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcs1039
New Member!

Something Better?

The manufacturer might not have the same reason as the customer for the product. The manufacturer might have fuel mileage in mind when I might be using the auto to pull a light weight trailer and need to use a different oil.
Remember the Firestone blow out problem, Ford came back and changed the recomended air pressure in the tires.
I do not second guess the manufacturer, I check out as much info about a product and use what I think will give me the best outcome.
5-30 weight oil is approved by the manufacturer to use in the engine.

rcs1039 is offline Old Post 04-27-2002 06:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rcs1039 Find more posts by rcs1039 Add rcs1039 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phordman
Uber Escapist

I use 4qts of 5w20 and .5 qts of 20w50 to help alittle with the cam/valve noise.

Only run Royal Purple full synthetic. ITs the best!

Phordman is offline Old Post 04-27-2002 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Phordman Find more posts by Phordman Add Phordman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scape2
1st Gear

I use

10-W30 in my v6 Escape.

scape2 is offline Old Post 04-27-2002 11:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scape2 Find more posts by scape2 Add scape2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSadlo
Outfitter!

I use 5W-20 because it is recommended. My mechanic hates it , though, because he does not stock it and always has to go out and get it!!

CSadlo is offline Old Post 04-28-2002 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CSadlo Find more posts by CSadlo Add CSadlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fenrir
[shift] 4th Gear!

I've never had trouble finding 5w20. So that's what I use.

Borla muffler,Thule roof rack
Catch All mats,Philips bright white bulbs
KKM cold air induction,Lund bug guard
mud flaps,Kenwood 6x9 3 way speakers
Dynamat door insulation
75mm Chrome MAF sensor
Some new pictures of my ride

Fenrir@ameritech.net

fenrir is offline Old Post 04-28-2002 06:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fenrir Find more posts by fenrir Add fenrir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sg1ama
Platinum Overdrive

Everyone keep saying how 5W20 gets better mpg but will damage your engine... you guys know most of the major oil manufacterers have warrantys also right? (in other words they warranty against defect also, Ive even seen some as high as 400K! (which is way beyond what I expect my Escape to go even if Im lucky)

sg1ama is offline Old Post 04-29-2002 09:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sg1ama Find more posts by sg1ama Add sg1ama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lemmy999
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Fenner
Ford recommends 5W-20 that's what I use!
They designed the engine they ought to know what works best in it.
Walmart sells Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic/blend for $1.70 Qt. Cheap price for a blend so why not use it?

IMHO,
I get a kick out of people trying to second guess the manufacturer of an engine and use something "they" think is better.

You have to understand why the manufacturer recommends that oil. It increases the average mileage of their fleet of vehicles slightly which is better for them. It does nothing for you. After your warranty is up, it is no problem for Ford if you car breaks. It is actually good for them because they get to sell you parts. Why do you think the manufacturer that designed the engine recommended 5W-30 in some engines 2 years ago and now (with no changes to the engine) recommend 5W-20? Yes, I felt like 5W-30 is better, but I didn't just go on my feelings. I talked to an engineer that works at Alcoa and performs lots of tests on oils and filters and how well they protect etc etc. I always take a sample of my oil to him to get it tested after I change it. I asked him what he thought and he said 100% without a doubt use 5W-30.

lemmy999 is offline Old Post 04-29-2002 05:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lemmy999 Visit lemmy999's homepage! Find more posts by lemmy999 Add lemmy999 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeusMachina
New Member!

Hi all,

Good thread by the way, I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 3,000 miles in a few weeks (didn't want to wait until 5,000).

I've seen all the info on 5w20 vs 5w30, and I'm thinking that 5w30 is the way to go. However, I can't get anything in writing from my Ford dealer that says that it's OK to switch to 5w30. Even though there is a TSB on the Mazda Tribute that gives this an official blessing, my Ford dealer is adamant that 5w20 is what I should use.

This may be a newbie question, but is 5w20 only recommended (not required), and can I use 5w30 or any other oil without any negative consequences?

If I switch to 5w30, will that void my Ford warranty? Will it also impact or void any 3rd party warrenty I have like 1sourceauto or Warranty Direct?

I know for the long summer drives that we have that I definitely don't want 5w20 in there, and I plan on using synthetic no matter what, but I don't want to switch it to 5w30 unless I see an OK in writing or have a reasonable assurance if this is OK.

Any help out there? Thanks!
/Brian

DeusMachina is offline Old Post 04-29-2002 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeusMachina Find more posts by DeusMachina Add DeusMachina to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Fenner
Neutral

"It increases the average mileage of their fleet of vehicles slightly which is better for them. It does nothing for you. After your warranty is up, it is no problem for Ford if you car breaks. It is actually good for them because they get to sell you parts."

I value your opinion but don't agree with it.
Do you honestly think Ford is going to recommend an oil just for gas mileage with no regard as to what happens after the factory warranty runs out?
How long do you think they would stay in business if there engines only last 36K miles?
I'm sure Ford has done extensive testing with this oil before they recommended it for use on this engine and others. If indeed it does give me better gas mileage that's a benefit for me!
Things improve and things change. Just because it's the same engine and now they recommend a different viscosity oil maybe just maybe they are making things better?

Nothing against your expert..............but did he design the engine?
I'm using what they recommend, they designed the engine.

This is just my opinion yours may differ..................

Brian Fenner is offline Old Post 04-29-2002 09:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Fenner Find more posts by Brian Fenner Add Brian Fenner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote