Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
c5hardtop
1st Gear

Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford?

Replacement Keys, do they have to come from Mazda/Ford?

I only have 1 key and need to pick up a couple spares, do they have to come from Ford or Mazda, or can they be cut at retail stores. My other cars have always had transmitters in the keys that had to programed for you VIN, but looking at the key to my tribute, it looks like it can be cut anywhere.

01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, 02 Protege ES

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c5hardtop is offline Old Post 09-16-2002 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c5hardtop Find more posts by c5hardtop Add c5hardtop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomR
Platinum Overdrive

I'm pretty sure you could get a key cut anywhere, but unless it has the built-in transponder, it will not start the vehicle.

You can buy the keys from the dealership and program them yourself, using the instructions in your owners manual.

TomR is offline Old Post 09-16-2002 09:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TomR Find more posts by TomR Add TomR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c5hardtop
1st Gear

quote:
Originally posted by TomR
I'm pretty sure you could get a key cut anywhere, but unless it has the built-in transponder, it will not start the vehicle.

You can buy the keys from the dealership and program them yourself, using the instructions in your owners manual.

The key does not look like it has a trasponder in it, you are saying it does?

c5hardtop is offline Old Post 09-16-2002 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c5hardtop Find more posts by c5hardtop Add c5hardtop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bzcat
Platinum Member

its called Ford PATS key. any lock smith worth his trade will know what you are looking for. cheaper still to buy from eBay and cut it at the hardware store.

since you only have 1 key, you will not be able to program it yourself. you will need the dealer to reset the PATS code and start over.

i will go back to where ever you got the car from and ask for the second key. if you have 2 keys you can program as many as you want by yourself.

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 09-16-2002 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sg1ama
Platinum Overdrive

No

Anyone can make you a replacement key
But you need both keys to program the new one

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)

sg1ama is offline Old Post 09-16-2002 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sg1ama Find more posts by sg1ama Add sg1ama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkmgarf
2nd Gear

You all seem to know more here than I do. But, I was told by my dealer that you do have to get the key from Ford/Mazda. But I'm almost posititve it does have the chip in the key. But, that was the dealer, and they will tell you whatever they want to make some money.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it, If it's broke, buy a new one."
"How fast do you want to go....how much money you got?"
"There IS no replacement for displacement!"

pkmgarf is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkmgarf Find more posts by pkmgarf Add pkmgarf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c5hardtop
1st Gear

I talked to the dealer, key is $30.38, programing is $34.00. I'm probably getting an ebay key though.

c5hardtop is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 01:00 AM
bzcat
Platinum Member

Again, to summarize:

PATS keys are all the same no matter where you get them... the same company makes them so get it from eBay or Mazda dealer... doesn't matter just make sure it is for Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute, so find the cheapest place. Any locksmith or hardware store can cut the key.

You need to program them after you cut it:

If you have one key only: your dealer will have to program it for you

If you have 2 keys: you can program new key yourself

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

bzcat is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bzcat Visit bzcat's homepage! Find more posts by bzcat Add bzcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GatorJ
Platinum Overdrive

quote:
Originally posted by c5hardtop
I talked to the dealer, key is $30.38, programing is $34.00. I'm probably getting an ebay key though.

I had to go through this when one of my originals was lost. When the dealer quoted you $34 to program a key, was he or she aware that you only had one original? Usually if you don't two programmed keys, the programming charge is well over $100. Some better locksmiths will have the necessary equipment, so shop around. The device looks like a large code reader and costs approximately $2500, so the key guy at the mall kiosk probably won't have it. Ford built in safety delays so it takes a good while to do it as well. There is a twenty minute delay from the time you access the system until you can begin to program keys. Aftermarket PATS keys work fine if you get the correct one. The only one that works is the one for the Escape, Focus and Tribute. The other PATS keys, even though similar in appearance, will not. The system will accept a maximum of eight keys. Get a couple of extra made so you don't have to go through this again

GatorJ is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GatorJ Find more posts by GatorJ Add GatorJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c5hardtop
1st Gear

quote:
Originally posted by GatorJ

I had to go through this when one of my originals was lost. When the dealer quoted you $34 to program a key, was he or she aware that you only had one original? Usually if you don't two programmed keys, the programming charge is well over $100. Some better locksmiths will have the necessary equipment, so shop around. The device looks like a large code reader and costs approximately $2500, so the key guy at the mall kiosk probably won't have it. Ford built in safety delays so it takes a good while to do it as well. There is a twenty minute delay from the time you access the system until you can begin to program keys. Aftermarket PATS keys work fine if you get the correct one. The only one that works is the one for the Escape, Focus and Tribute. The other PATS keys, even though similar in appearance, will not. The system will accept a maximum of eight keys. Get a couple of extra made so you don't have to go through this again

I told them I only had one key.

c5hardtop is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 02:38 AM
GatorJ
Platinum Overdrive

That's an excellent deal considering the time and equipment involved. I hope they don't try to change anything when you get there. Keep your fingers crossed.

GatorJ is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GatorJ Find more posts by GatorJ Add GatorJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MissGingerCat
Hyperdrive

Location: Madison, Wisconsin when I'm not off exploring the world...

I don't get it! Mine came with 2 keys and 2 fobs and I asked for 2 more keys to be made. How can someone just have one key?? I was also told if I wanted anymore keys I'd have to bring them all back and it would be $16/new key for replacements and programming all of them.

How does one program the key on one's own????? I wasn't going to ask because I thought it might just go over my head. But now you have me wondering.

MissGingerCat~ Who doesn't get it at all...

I Love My Eggscape !!(too bad my brother owns it now)

Without sausage, without bacon, all purpose in life is forsaken

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

MissGingerCat is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 10:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MissGingerCat Find more posts by MissGingerCat Add MissGingerCat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sg1ama
Platinum Overdrive

It actually even says in the manual how to program the keys
Mine is downstairs so cant quote but its in there

It basically consists of inserting each key, turning it to the preset position & removing it

Anyone have the info handy?

2012 Grey Ford Escape XLT Sport (2012-?)

sg1ama is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 12:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sg1ama Find more posts by sg1ama Add sg1ama to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c5hardtop
1st Gear

quote:
Originally posted by MissGingerCat
I don't get it! Mine came with 2 keys and 2 fobs and I asked for 2 more keys to be made. How can someone just have one key??

I bought mine used 2 weeks ago and they only had 1 key and no remotes. I've picked up remotes off ebay, they are easy to program.... just wanted a backup key. Its a cost you live with on a used vehicle... since my 01 Tribute ES-V6 4x4, Loaded with 14k miles was $14.2k, about $12k less than the MSRP a little over a year ago, its a cost I can live with. If I was paying retail used, I would asked for other keys to be included. If you've ever traded a car in, its pretty rare for the dealer to ask for other keys remotes, however I usually bring them back or mail them back to be nice.

c5hardtop is offline Old Post 09-17-2002 04:37 PM